Remixation, the company behind video startup Vodpod, has a new iOS app focused on the social component of online video. It’s a frontend to the Vodpod.com service where one million users have shared videos from 20,000 different video sites. An engaging user interface sets apart the app from the crop of content aggregating programs on the App Store. It’s a Flipboard for videos, writes TechCrunch.
Indeed, a nicely laid out and customizable grid collects clips your friends share on a bunch of social networks, including Facebook and Twitter. Or, you can get started by streaming clips from YouTube, TED and Vimeo, excluding licensed content. It’s a fun way of checking out clips from your friends in one place and it supports AirPlay so you can beam them to your TV set via an Apple TV. The complete list of features plus a cool promo video right after the break.
In addition to the aforementioned capabilities, the app has a feed where you can watch and talk about videos with your friends on Showyou, as well as find and follow people. You also get notifications when your contacts share new clips or comment on your videos.
You can also like a video (in Showyou’s terminology, “thank” a friend for sharing it) and share interesting clips you stumble upon while browsing the web by sending an email to email@example.com.
Showyou is a free download and it supports both the iPhone and iPad.
- Add Mozy to your list of cloud lockers for iOS (9to5mac.com)
- Flipboard gains Instagram integration, is now twice as fast (9to5mac.com)
- Jailbreak warning spotted in updated Flipboard for iPad, should you panic? (9to5mac.com)
- Major Plex for iOS update brings AirPlay, TV out, universal search and more (9to5mac.com)
- Official Vimeo for iOS app now available with impressive editing features (9to5mac.com)