Cosmos02

Mountain Lion includes a set of 44 beautiful screensaver images in stunning 3200×2000 resolution, ideal for use as wallpaper on Retina MacBook Pros, Thunderbolt Displays and larger Cinema Displays.

Getting access to the images to use as wallpaper takes just a few seconds. Instructions follow…

Via OSXDaily

In the Finder, from the Go menu select Go to folder… (or hit CMD-Shift-G).

In the box that opens up, paste in this:

/System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.Framework/Versions/A/Resources/Default Collections/

That will open up the folder where the screensaver images are stored. Hit CMD-A to select all of them, then CMD-C to copy. Now open or create the folder where you’d like to store the wallpaper and hit CMD-V to paste in the copies.

Then simply right-click the photo you’d like to use as your wallpaper and select Set Desktop Picture.

20 Responses to “How to: Access stunning hi-res OS X screensaver images to use as wallpaper”

1. Ash Boer says:

Some nice work. Have lots of new backgrounds for my MacBook Air :)

2. hellokitler says:

Cool tip. Why are these hidden in the bowels of the operating system?

3. if someone could put these in a zip folder thatd be great thanks….

4. wonder why they weren’t simply included in the /Library/Desktop Pictures folder? I put them there. Thanks for the info.

5. Saif Karim says:

It says folder not found! Please help?

6. mindofmedia says:

Does not work for mountain lion. (The default collection folder is not there)

7. Oliver Kadak says:

Thanks for the tip!
    You can also drag those folders to Desktop & Screen Saver in System Preferences

8. Says ‘The Folder can’t be found’ .

9. how about posting these pictures here or at least previews?

10. It is telling me that the folder cannot be found, and I am running 10.8.4, help?

11. It is Shift+CMD+G not CMD+Shit+G (I know, it works anyway because you press them together :D ). The folder direction works great ;)

12. Nice one! Why are they hidden away in the first place though?

13. Jesse Järvi says:

On Mavericks, the file path is

/Library/Screen Savers/Default Collections

14. pbranham says:

I have actually been using these as my backgrounds for about 6-8 months. I put them all in a folder together and have it randomly cycle through them on my two monitors for my wallpaper. I love it. I forget where I heard about it first though.