Gold Stories April 20
Gold Stories April 15
Apple’s ninth annual Environmental Responsibility Report summarises the company’s work on its three environmental priorities of renewable energy, safer materials & processes and conserving resources. As part of the third of those, the company revealed that its recycling program last year recovered 89 million pounds of materials – Business Insider noting that this included a cool $40M worth of gold.
Gold is commonly used in circuit boards because it has low electrical resistance and, unlike copper, doesn’t corrode. In most applications, a thin layer of gold covers a thicker layer of copper – which was a second valuable material recovered by Apple …
Gold Stories August 18, 2015
Gold Stories August 16, 2015
Gold Stories June 22, 2015
In an interview with the Chinese language edition of Bloomberg Businessweek, Tim Cook noted that developers are showing more interest in the Apple Watch than they had in the iPhone and iPad at a similar early stage.
Developers are working on more than 3,500 apps for the gadgets, he said. That’s well ahead of the 500 apps available for the 2008 edition of the iPhone and the 1,000 for the first iPad in 2010, he added.
Cook also confirmed what most had assumed: the gold color introduced for the iPhone, iPad and now MacBook (and presumably real gold for the Watch) was “in part” driven by the popularity of the color in China. Greater China now accounts for a whopping 29% of Apple’s revenue … expand full story
Gold Stories May 12, 2015
A special Top 11 list today from noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo on the next iPhone (6s? 7?) that will be released later this year. Counting down:
- Force Touch will be the biggest upgraded selling point, but also one of the main bottlenecks of the supply chain. Force Touch can enrich user experience due to more input methods and support of handwritten signatures, which is beneficial for expanding in the commercial market
- Screen will remain at 4.7 and 5.5 inches, with resolution the same as existing models. There will be no new 4-inch model
- There will be an additional casing color, rose gold, matching the rose-gold Apple Watch Edition
- The camera will have a pixel upgrade, likely to 12MP
- One microphone will be added near the speaker to enhance voice quality
- The A9 processor with upgraded 2GB LPDDR4 will be adopted
- The bending issue will be improved by using different casing materials and internal mechanical design changes
- If drop test issues can be resolved, the 5.5-inch model will have a limited number of units with sapphire cover lens
- The recognition rate of Touch ID will be improved further in a bid to promote Apple Pay
- Gesture control support
- It’s expected that mass production will start in mid-to-late August. Total shipments will be 80-90mn in 2015, with a 2:1 ratio of 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models.
Some thoughts: expand full story