iOS release history tells us that as a product in development moves even closer to release, it is assigned a proper codename. Not only an identifier like “3,1” but a codename such as N94 (iPhone 4S) or K48 (original iPad). The next-generation Apple TV has reached that stage. Thanks to today’s beta release of iOS 5.1, we have on our hands the codename for this new Apple TV (3,1).
As you can see above, the new Apple TV is rocking a the J33 codename, the second JXX product we’ve seen from Apple. The first was the J2 – a new iPad – that we discovered just last week. Apple’s iPad 2 almost reached the peak of Apple’s KXX options with the CDMA version dubbed as K95, so Apple’s move to JXX nomenclature is something that would have to happen sooner or later. With Apple recently beefing up their flagship tablets and phones with dual-core A5 chips, we think this new Apple TV represents an A5 dual-core model that packs in 1080P playback abilities. As to whether this thing has a display on it, it is too early for us to tell.
Thanks, as always, iH8Sn0w!
iPad Air 2
- Apple outs new iPad (iPad 2,4) in iOS 5.1 firmware (9to5mac.com)
- Hulu Plus app is ready for Apple TV, decision to update is “political not technical” (9to5mac.com)
- Apple TV $89 + Free Shipping (9to5toys.com)
- iPad 3 to be 3D? Probably not (9to5mac.com)
- aTV Flash (black) hack from FireCore goes 1.0, on sale (9to5mac.com)