French site MacG is citing “reliable sources” in suggesting a minor refresh to the MacBook Air line-up next week. With Intel having updated its range of laptop CPUs, it seems likely the 11- and 13-inch machines will see a small increase in speed, from the existing 1.3GHz chip to either 1.4GHz or 1.5GHz.
It’s also possible, though less likely, that Apple would increase the SSD size from the present starting point of 128GB.
If you can wait until later in the year, however, you’ll probably get much more for your money when it’s strongly rumored that Apple will be launching an all-new 12-inch MacBook Air with Retina display in Q3. Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities said we should expect:
- 12-inch screen, but as portable as current 11-inch MacBook Air and productive as 13-inch MacBook Air
- Higher-resolution display (Retina)
- Will “redefine laptop computing” once again just like the current MacBook Air design
- Thinner/lighter than MacBook Air, new clamshell structure
- Will run on Intel chip, not Apple-based A8 processor
- Potentially lower-cost than current Apple notebooks