Belkin continues to bring HomeKit support to its smart home accessories, and the Wemo WiFi Smart Dimmer is the latest to join the club. Wemo HomeKit support is retroactively being added through a free software update starting today. Wemo was first to use a new software authentication method for certifying HomeKit devices with its Mini Smart Plug earlier this year.
9to5Mac Happy Hour
Just like with the Mini Smart Plug, Wemo’s WiFi Smart Dimmer doesn’t require a dedicated hub or subscription to operate. Simply replace your existing wall switch with WiFi Smart Dimmer and your existing lights gain voice and app control.
Before today, HomeKit users still needed a special bridge to make WiFi Smart Dimmers work with Apple’s smart home system. That bridge is still needed for other Wemo accessories to work with HomeKit, but Mini Smart Plug and WiFi Smart Dimmer can now be bought and used with HomeKit with no bridge. If you already own either product, Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant were previously supported without a bridge, and now HomeKit and Siri join the list.
More details about availability:
Wemo users can add Wemo Dimmer to the Apple Home app and ask Siri® to control lighting throughout the home with HomePod or even automatically based on rules and intelligence. Now both Wemo Mini Smart Plugs and Wemo WiFi Smart Dimmers can be included into scenes and rooms to work with more than one hundred other HomeKit compatible products.
Using Wemo with Apple Home app and Siri, consumers can:
- Voice control Wemo with Siri from your iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, HomePod, Apple TV, and Mac.
- Add Wemo to rooms in the Apple Home app and control multiple HomeKit compatible products at once.
- Automate Wemo with scenes in the Apple Home app.
- Use Scenes to turn Wemo Dimmer on/off or adjust light levels based on your location, time of day, or a command to Siri like “Movie Time”.
- Remotely check if someone left the Wemo Dimmer lights on, and then adjust light levels, from your iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac.
The update to enable HomeKit on the Wemo Dimmer will begin rolling out today. A new Wemo app, available for free via the Apple App Store, will facilitate a firmware update for Wemo Dimmers.
For more on HomeKit, catch up on our HomeKit Weekly series.