Apple released new developer betas for iOS 13 and iPadOS 13 yesterday and included a few notable new enhancements in the release. Watch our hands-on video as we take a look at some of the more noteworthy new iOS 13 and iPadOS 13 beta 5 changes and features.
iOS 13 beta 5 changes and features
- Adjust Home screen ‘App Icon Size’ on iPadOS
- New smaller cursor option for mouse support on iPadOS 13
- Automations tab in shortcuts has been temporarily removed
- New Home app wallpapers
- Updated volume HUD is narrower and includes haptics when using volume buttons
- Volume adjustment via buttons has more levels
- New achievements for move goals in Activity app
iOS 13 beta 5 changes and features video walkthrough
- Redesigned Share sheet with grouping
- ‘Open in a new tab’ is back in Safari
- Larger cellular LTE icon in status bar
- Slimmed-down transport controls in Control Center
- Black icons in private mode in Safari
- Dark Mode can be assigned to accessibility shortcut triple-click
- Swipe on button headers
- Rearrange Quick Action for dock apps
- Pin more apps in iOS Today View widget
- Reopen closed Windows in App Expose
- Merge all windows in Safari
- Siri for Everyone set up screen (requires forthcoming HomePod update)
Of all of the changes included in this latest developer beta, the new Home screen ‘App Icon Size’ setting for iPadOS seem to be the most noteworthy. This new setting allows users to switch between a view that displays larger icons with fewer icons on screen, or the traditional view of smaller icons with more on screen at once.
Bigger icon view in iPadOS 13 beta 5
The new iPadOS Home screen icon view also influences how the Today View widgets are displayed. When choosing the ‘Bigger’ icon setting, the Today View performs like it does in portrait mode, requiring the user to swipe it into view in order to see it. I personally think I prefer to have more icons on screen at once with the permanent Today View on the side, but it’s nice that Apple is giving users options.
For more video coverage, be sure to subscribe to 9to5Mac on YouTube, and check out our previous beta-related videos:
- iOS 13 beta 1 changes and features
- iOS 13 beta 2 changes and features
- iOS 13 beta 3 changes and features
- iOS 13 beta 4 changes and features
What’s your favorite new change or feature in iOS 13 beta 5? Sound off in the comments below with your thoughts and opinions.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.