The first developer beta of iOS 14.5 and iPadOS 14.5 is officially here, and it includes a variety of changes, new features, and improvements for iPhone and iPad users. The update is headlined by new privacy controls and a new Apple Watch unlocking feature, but there are a variety of other improvements as well.
iOS 14.5 beta 1 features the build number of 18E5140j. Developers can update from iOS 14.4 via the Settings app. Simply open the Settings app, choose General, then choose Software Update.
- iOS 14.5 developer beta 1, build number: 18E5140j
- iPadOS 14.5 developer beta 1, build number: 18E5140j
- watchOS 7.4 developer beta 1, build number: 18T5144k
- tvOS 14.5 developer beta 1, build number: 18L5149j
If you spot any other changes in the first iOS 14.5, or the other new betas from Apple today, let us know in the comments below or on Twitter @9to5Mac. Read on as we round up everything we’ve found so far.
- iOS 14.5 beta enables worldwide dual-SIM 5G support
- iOS 14.5 beta suggests new financial health features coming to the Wallet app
- iOS 14.5 code reveals upcoming ‘Apple Card Family’ feature for multi-user accounts
- iOS 14.5 adds support for unlocking your iPhone with Apple Watch while wearing a face mask
- iOS 14.5 beta brings support for casting Apple Fitness+ workouts with AirPlay 2
What’s new in iOS 14.5 beta 1?
- New interface in the Watch app and Settings app when your device is up to date:
- The Apple Podcasts application has undergone a handful of small user interface tweaks:
- iOS 14.4 includes new interfaces for typing with Siri and sending messages with Siri
- New “Hey Siri, call emergency” feature
- Support for using the Xbox Series S/X and PlayStation 5 controllers with iPhone and iPad
- Reminders app now includes support for sorting lists and printing lists:
- The Apple News app has seen notable design changes as well, including a redesigned News+ tab and an all-new Search tab at the bottom:
- iPadOS 14.5 adds a horizontal boot screen for the first time:
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.