In this week’s top stories: AirPods 3 leaked images, more details on the 2021 MacBook Pro update, Apple takes action against a macOS malware, and more. Read on for all of this week’s top Apple Stories.
AirPods 3 are rumored to offer an all-new design in the entry-level AirPods, similar to the AirPods Pro. The biggest change here is that this means AirPods 3 would feature an in-ear design, rather than resting on your ear like the current AirPods do.
Leaked images this week offered a potential real-world look at the redesigned AirPods 3. Check out our full coverage right here.
MagSafe battery for iPhone 12
Bloomberg reported last week that Apple is developing a new MagSafe battery pack accessory for the iPhone 12. This week, however, Anker beat Apple to market with its own MagSafe compatible battery pack for iPhone 12.
The new Anker PowerCore Magnetic 5K Wireless Power Bank features a 5,000mAh battery that can charge the iPhone 12 mini from 0 to 100% with a little to spare, the iPhone 12 from 0 to 95%, the iPhone 12 Pro from 0 to 97%, and the iPhone 12 Pro Max from 0 to 75%.
Whether or not Apple’s MagSafe battery pack for iPhone 12 ends up seeing the light of day remains to be seen, but the MagSafe-compatible Anker is available to order from today.
Last week, a piece of macOS malware was discovered in the wild with optimization for Apple Silicon. Silver Sparrow forces infected Macs to check a control server once per hour, and it includes a self-destruct mechanism, but researchers have yet to actually observe its malicious intent.
Apple this week took action to prevent further spread of Silver Sparrow by revoking the security certificates of the developer accounts used to sign the packages, which will prevent it from being installed on any further Macs.
MacBook Pro ports
Ming-Chi Kuo reported earlier this month that the new MacBook Pro models coming this year would feature additional I/O options compared to the current models. The analyst followed up on that report this week to be more specific. Kuo says that he expects Apple’s 2021 MacBook Pro models to feature an HDMI port and an SD card slot. This is a significant change compared to the current MacBook Pro models, which feature exclusively Thunderbolt connectivity.
You can find our full expectations for the 2021 MacBook Pro update right here.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below.
- iOS 14.5 makes zero-click exploits ‘significantly harder’ according to security researchers
- Apple updating the subscription sheet in iOS 14.5 with clearer pricing and trial information
- Apple confirms there will never be an Apple Music free tier
- Anker beats Apple to market, new iPhone 12 MagSafe-compatible battery pack now available
- T-Mobile launches a real unlimited 5G plan with no throttling and 4K video streaming
Apple Watch |
- Everything we know so far about Apple Watch Series 7
- Apple Watch users can workout to unlock a virtual trophy on International Women’s Day
- Kuo: New form factor MacBook Pro to feature HDMI port and SD card slot
- Mysterious macOS malware discovered with M1 optimization, threat remains unclear
- M1 Mac users report excessive SSD usage, potentially affecting the component’s lifespan
- macOS Big Sur 11.2.2 released with fix for using MacBooks with ‘non-compliant’ USB-C hubs
- First M1 MacBook Pros now available from Apple Refurbished Store
- Apple begins selling first refurbished M1 MacBook Airs, save up to $250
- Apple acts to prevent further spread of Silver Sparrow Mac malware
- Everything we know so far about 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro updates with Apple Silicon
- Rumor: Redesigned Apple Silicon iMac might be available in iPad Air-style colors
- Final Cut Pro subscription might be on the way as Apple updates trademark
- Opinion: 2021 MacBook Pro ports could be an IO dream or nightmare
- Apple now selling refurbished M1 Mac mini, some iMac models currently unavailable
- Should you buy the iPad Air or the 11-inch iPad Pro?
- More supply-chain evidence of upcoming mini-LED iPad Pro
- Chick-fil-A turns to iPads and FaceTime to help speed up drive-thrus
Top Apple stories, retail |
- Apple Stores offering free sign language interpreter appointments
- Interactive: Explore the new Apple Cherry Creek in Denver
- Gallery: Apple Yeouido celebrates grand opening in Seoul
- Apple confirms MacArthur Center store in Norfolk will permanently close
- Fayette Mall Apple Store moving to The Summit at Fritz Farm
- Studio Dumbar shares animated map created by Today at Apple artists around the world
- Target launching new ‘Apple shopping destinations’ in stores and online
- COVID-19: Which Apple Stores have reopened?
Apple TV and AirPods |
- Leaked images purportedly show new AirPods 3 with in-ear design and smaller case
- What to expect from the rumored AirPods 3 and AirPods Pro 2 updates
- Apple TV+ Guide: Here are all the Apple TV shows and movies available now
- Belkin planning AirPlay 2 and HomeKit audio adapter for retrofitting smart features
- Spotify counters Apple Music with new HiFi tier, expands to 80 new markets, more
- These are the best iPhone apps for converting images and screenshots to text
- Twitter reveals ‘Super Follow’ paid service, new groups feature, more at Analyst Day event
- Are your ears good enough for Spotify HiFi? Take this test to find out
- Genius Scan for iPhone gets overhaul with next-gen AI, shadow removal, smart renaming
AAPL Company |
- Will Apple hold a March event this year? Here’s everything we know right now
- US DOJ investigating antitrust complaints regarding the ‘Sign in with Apple’ button
- Apple tells Epic Games it doesn’t have Scott Forstall’s phone number
- Facebook’s new PR blitz touts benefits of personalized ads ahead of Apple’s privacy feature
- Apple begins showing repairability index for iPhones and Macs in France
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
- The Rewind: M1 Mac mini diary – my favorite Apple product of the moment
- 2021 “M1X” Mac Leaks! – MacBook Pro w/ HDMI & Multi-colored iMacs
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top stories of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
New episodes of 9to5Mac Daily are recorded every weekday. Subscribe to our podcast in iTunes/Apple Podcast or your favorite podcast player to guarantee new episodes are delivered as soon as they’re available. Stories discussed in this episode:
Another report claims iPhone 13 will use LTPO displays to enable ProMotion high-refresh rate Samsung launches ‘iTest,’ a new web app for turning your iPhone into a Galaxy device 9to5Toys (@9to5toys) / Twitter
Enjoy the podcast?: Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Daily! Follow Chance: Twitter: @ChanceHMiller Follow Blair: Twitter: @Blairaltland Listen & Subscribe:
Apple Podcasts Overcast RSS Stitcher TuneIn Google Play
Share your thoughts! Drop us a line at email@example.com. You can also rate us in Apple Podcasts or recommend us in Overcast to help more people discover the show!
9to5Mac Watch Time |
Jeff Benjamin joins Zac Hall to give Apple Watch Series 3 and Series 5 an exit interview before new models are announced. 9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how Apple Watch is affecting their lives.
9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how Apple Watch is affecting their lives. Subscribe now to catch up with each episode and automatically hear new episodes as soon as they’re released every two weeks: 🟣 Apple Podcasts | 🟠 Overcast | 🟢 Spotify Follow Zac Instagram @apollozac Twitter @apollozac SpaceExplored.com Follow Sigmund Judge Twitter @sigjudge screentimes.net Follow 9to5Mac Instagram @9to5mac Twitter @9to5mac Facebook YouTube.com/9to5Mac Listen & Subscribe
Apple Podcasts Spotify Overcast RSS
Enjoy the podcast? Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Watch Time!
9to5Mac Happy Hour Podcast |
Follow Benjamin Mayo @bzamayo Chance Miller @chancehmiller Subscribe
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify
- Ads in Apple software, iOS 14.5 changes, Apple Music shareable lyrics
- iOS 14.5 Maps, Apple Glasses rumors, first TV+ AR app
- iOS 14.5 beta features, Apple Car dealmaking, Ted Lasso award season
- Premium MacBook Air, iOS 14.4 release, AAPL earnings
- Apple’s first AR device, iPhone 13 notch, Unity Apple Watch face
Stacktrace Podcast |
Gui on Twitter: @_inside John on Twitter: @johnsundell
iOS Dev Weekly Modern UICollectionView APIs UICollectionViewFlowLayout Codable Using property wrappers to customize Codable Codextended SwiftSiri AirBuddy Buddies FanFan The source code for FanFan Imagine Engine’s macOS display link implementation Kara Swisher’s interview with Tim Cook App Tracking Transparency Apple Arcade’s recent expansion
Subscribe: 🟣 Apple Podcasts 🟠 Overcast 🟢 Spotify If you have any feedback about the show, feel free to reach out on Twitter or send us an email.
Apple @ Work Podcast |
Sponsored by Kandji: A modern, cloud-based platform for centrally managing and securing your Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV devices, saving IT teams countless hours of manual work with features like one-click compliance templates and 150+ pre-built automations, apps, and workflows. Request access.
Apple’s Zero-Touch deployment technology is now available on JumpCloud’s MDM solution The Directory-Driven Magic Behind JumpCloud’s Zero-Touch Enrollment
Connect with Bradley
Listen and Subscribe
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify Pocket Casts Castro RSS
- Zero-Touch deployment and why it's a key part of IT security
- Apple @ Work Podcast: Transforming iOS data entry and integrations with JotForm
- Apple @ Work Podcast: Stephen Hackett on leveraging podcast tech in the workplace
- Keeping email secure in a remote work world
- How COVID-19 has forced us to rethink technology in education
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.