If you’re planning on an iPhone 13 purchase this year, you’re in good company, according to a new survey. It revealed that some 44% of current iPhone owners in the US plan to buy one of this year’s models.

When it came to specific models, the standard iPhone 13 was the most popular choice, followed by the iPhone 13 Pro Max. The survey also identified which of the rumored new features was the greatest purchase motivator …

The most popular reported feature was the variable refresh-rate display. Apple is expected to use the LTPO display technology already used in the Apple Watch. This would allow any refresh rate from 1Hz up to 120Hz.

The highest refresh rate would make for the snappiest performance, especially when playing games, while the 1Hz rate would potentially allow for an always-on display element by minimizing power usage. It’s this power-sipping mode that allows for the always-on display of the Apple Watch Series 5 and 6.

SellCell found that the 120Hz maximum refresh rate was the most popular new feature, topping the list at 22% of respondents, while the always-on display was third at 16% – making the LTPO tech the main reason for upgrade for a total of 38% of the 3,000 iPhone owners surveyed.

The second choice is a feature we’re not actually expecting to see until next year: under-display Touch ID.

Of those intending to buy this year, 38% plan to buy the standard iPhone 13 model, 31% the iPhone 13 Pro Max, 24% the iPhone 13 Pro, and just 7% the iPhone 13 mini. This is consistent with the low popularity of the iPhone 12 mini, and Apple is expected to abandon the option next year.

In terms of other upcoming Apple products, some 27% of iPhone owners plan to buy the Apple Watch Series 7, while 13% expect to purchase AirPods 3.

The report is based on an online survey conducted between July 28 and August 6 of more than 3,000 iPhone owners, aged 18 years or older, based in the United States.

What are your own iPhone 13 purchase plans? Please let us know in the comments.

Render: LetsGoDigital

FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.

Check out 9to5Mac on YouTube for more Apple news:

You’re reading 9to5Mac — experts who break news about Apple and its surrounding ecosystem, day after day. Be sure to check out our homepage for all the latest news, and follow 9to5Mac on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn to stay in the loop. Don’t know where to start? Check out our exclusive stories, reviews, how-tos, and subscribe to our YouTube channel

About the Author

Ben Lovejoy

Ben Lovejoy is a British technology writer and EU Editor for 9to5Mac. He’s known for his op-eds and diary pieces, exploring his experience of Apple products over time, for a more rounded review. He also writes fiction, with two technothriller novels, a couple of SF shorts and a rom-com!

Ben Lovejoy's favorite gear