This year marks the 10 year anniversary of the iPhone and Apple is getting a head start on the celebrations. A decade ago tomorrow, Apple’s late founder Steve Jobs unveiled the first ever iPhone and Apple today has shared a look back at just how revolutionary the device has been.
Spigen TEKA RA200 Airpods Earhooks Cover
In a press release, Apple relives the iconic phrase Jobs used when he took the stage at Macworld 2007 in San Francisco, touting the iPhone as “a widescreen iPod with touch controls, a revolutionary mobile phone and a breakthrough internet communications device.”
From there, Apple says that the iPhone has continued revolutionizing the smartphone industry with the device, bragging that it has sold over one billion units and spawned new hardware categories such as the iPhone and Apple Watch.
Furthermore, Apple points to the millions of apps that have become essential to people’s daily routine thanks to iPhone and the App Store.
CEO Tim Cook remarks in the press release that the more than ever, the iPhone is redefining how consumers live, work, communicate, and entertain. In typical Cook language, he also teased that “the best is yet to come” for iPhone.
“iPhone is an essential part of our customers’ lives, and today more than ever it is redefining the way we communicate, entertain, work and live,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “iPhone set the standard for mobile computing in its first decade and we are just getting started. The best is yet to come.”
Phil Schiller, Apple’s SVP of worldwide marketing, notes that the iPhone has remained the “gold standard” to which all other smartphones are compared.
“It is amazing that from the very first iPhone through to today’s newest iPhone 7 Plus, it has remained the gold standard by which all other smartphones are judged. For many of us, iPhone has become the most essential device in our lives and we love it,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing.
“iPhone is how we make voice and FaceTime calls, how we shoot and share Live Photos and 4K videos, how we listen to streaming music, how we use social media, how we play games, how we get directions and find new places, how we pay for things, how we surf the web, do email, manage our contacts and calendars, how we listen to podcasts, watch TV, movies and sports, and how we manage our fitness and health. iPhone has become all of these things and more. And I believe we are just getting started.”
The iPhone’s 10th anniversary is officially tomorrow in terms of announcement, but the device was released on June 29th 2007. 2017 is expected to be a big year for the device, read everything we currently know about it here.
iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus Innovations
- The world’s most popular camera is even better with a 12-megapixel lens, optical image stabilization, an f/1.8 aperture that captures 50 percent more light as well as wide color capture, all allowing for more vibrant colors with more detail even in low light, while iPhone 7 Plus also offers a dual-lens camera with Portrait mode and up to 2X optical zoom.
- The A10 Fusion chip is the most powerful chip ever in a smartphone, with processing performance 120 times faster and the graphics performance 240 times faster in iPhone 7 than the original iPhone.
- Stereo speakers provide amazing and immersive sound that is two times louder than iPhone 6s, with increased dynamic range of sound and a higher-quality speakerphone.
- An entirely reengineered enclosure resulting in the first water-resistant iPhone that offers protection against spills, splashes and dust like never before.
- The brightest, most colorful Retina HD display ever in an iPhone, with a wide color gamut for cinema-standard colors, greater color saturation and the best color management in the smartphone industry.
- bringing the power of the App Store to Messages;
- a Memories feature in Photos;
- SiriKit for developers so apps can talk to Siri;
- a new Home app that allows users to easily and securely set up, manage and control their home all in one place;
- an improved Maps app that is even simpler and more intuitive to use;
- greater clarity and simplicity to every aspect of the Apple Music experience; and
- support for breaking news notifications and paid subscriptions in the News app.