Series 3 features:
- LTE models offer connectivity without iPhone
- 70% faster performance with new S3 processor
- 50% faster Wi-Fi and Bluetooth with new W2 chip
- Siri now speaks with watchOS 4
Check out our top stories on the Apple Watch:
- Latest Apple Watch deals at 9to5Toys
- Top new Apple Watch Series 3 features – is it worth the price premium? [Video]
- Review: Apple Watch Series 3 unlocks new potential with LTE, dramatically improved Siri
- What’s new in watchOS 4? Hands-on with 50+ features and changes [Video]
Apple’s first entry into the wearable market is Apple Watch ($249 and up), a smartwatch that pairs with the iPhone and sports an all-new user interface. Users can choose between numerous watch faces that will display whenever the watch is lifted for viewing, access a Home screen full of apps, and see notifications pushed from the iPhone.
A traditional watch dial on the side of the device has been repurposed as a Digital Crown, allowing you to scroll, zoom, and navigate through apps without covering the display. Light and heavy “Force Touch” inputs are sensed by the Retina display, and the Watch includes haptic feedback capabilities via a “Taptic Engine.” An inductive wireless charging solution based on MagSafe will recharge the watch every night.
The Apple Watch is designed to interact with an iPhone, running light apps that depend upon the iPhone for data, as well as playing limited standalone content stored on the Watch itself. All Apple Watch models run the same watchOS software and work with the iPhone 5 or newer.
The Apple Watch includes a collection of sensors that can measure your pulse and other health data, plus fitness apps that can share data with the Health app in iOS. Also, the haptic feedback and biometric sensors allow for interesting new messaging features that let users tap and draw to communicate; users can record and send their heartbeats to one another.
- Apple Watch Series 1 ($249-$279)
- Apple Watch Series 3 ($329-$429)
- Apple Watch Edition ($1,299-$1,349)
- Apple Watch Hermès ($1,149-$1,399)