CarPlay is an iOS feature that makes using your iPhone simpler and easier while in the car.
Here’s how Apple describes CarPlay:
Available on select cars, CarPlay is a smarter, safer way to use your iPhone in the car. CarPlay takes the things you want to do with your iPhone while driving and puts them right on your car’s built-in display. You can get directions, make calls, send and receive messages, and listen to music, all in a way that allows you to stay focused on the road. Just connect your iPhone and go.
- 9to5Mac first reviewed CarPlay in October 2014: Review: CarPlay has promise, but the road to perfection is long
- In September 2015, 9to5Mac revisited changes to CarPlay through its first major update: iOS 9: The state of CarPlay in 2015 + what’s new
- Software updates in January 2016 delivered the full Apple Music experience to CarPlay: iOS 9.3 Preview: First look at updated Apple Music + Maps apps in CarPlay [Video]
- Apple announced several general enhancements to CarPlay in June 2016: CarPlay in iOS 10: Improved Apple Music, removing & rearranging apps, more
Other CarPlay resources:
- Best CarPlay apps for iPhone
- Wireless CarPlay debuting with 2017 BMW 5 Series Sedan
- Hands-on: Wireless CarPlay arrives in Alpine’s iLX-107 aftermarket receiver [Video]
How to find cars with CarPlay:
Best aftermarket CarPlay options: