Vimeo launched its long-awaited iOS app nearly a year ago. Though the program offered a comprehensive set of editing features, it only supported iPhone and iPod touch. Today, the company introduced a new version at Mobile World Congress (MWC), an annual mobile industry trade show that runs this year from Feb. 27 through March 1 in Barcelona, Spain.
A free download from the App Store, Vimeo 2.0 is a major update bringing the much-awaited native iPad interface with full-screen playback and the ability to simultaneously watch a video while browsing other clips. In addition, the improved video editor now lets you enrich clips with music bought in the integrated Vimeo Music Store. You can also share clips, add comments and likes, view your Subscriptions, and utilize the “Watch Later” album option or browse featured channels without logging in or signing up…
Lead mobile developer at Vimeo told The Verge in a prepared statement: “We’ve seen mobile traffic triple since we launched our original iPhone app in early 2011,” which is a testament to users’ eagerness to shoot and edit projects on the go. According to the company, the launch of the iOS app in March 2011 helped push total mobile traffic on the website from 7 percent in January 2010 to today’s 15 percent.
Vimeo for iOS version 2.0
• new, native iPad UI and an updated, easier to use iPhone UI
• Vimeo Music Store integration in the video editor
• shoot video, create projects, and browse our featured channels without logging in or signing up
• view your Subscriptions, Likes, and Watch Later album
• share, add comments, and view licenses, credits, and likes on other peoples’ videos
- Vimeo iOS app update in the works with native iPad support and full HD streaming (9to5mac.com)
- Screens 2.0: The best VNC app for Mac and iOS (9to5mac.com)
- Google Search iOS app updated with overhauled iPad UI and full-screen mode for iPhone (9to5mac.com)