We already got a look at Apple’s redesigned earphones and shared some more details this morning including the “EarPods” name. Apple has now officially unveiled the new “EarPods” and explained they have been in the works for the last three years. The company also confirmed that the new Earpods would come packaged with the new iPod touch lineup, iPod nanos, and the iPhone 5. The EarPods will also be available as a standalone accessory starting today, but there is no word on pricing as of yet. Unfortunately, we did not get too many new details about the specs of the new earbuds, but they do appear to sport slightly larger physical controls.
Apple explained the process of creating the new EarPods on its website:
Using optical scans combined with silicone moulding, Apple designers created 3D models of various ear types to find a common shape across many different people. That shape led to the unique look of the new Apple EarPods. Unlike traditional circular earbuds, their design is defined by the geometry of the ear. Which makes them more comfortable for more people than any other earbud-style headphones… Apple acousticians re-engineered an earbud speaker diaphragm with both rigid and flexible materials to minimize sound loss and maximize sound output. Adding to the superior audio quality are strategically placed acoustic vents. The most notable of these vents is the one located in the stem of each EarPod. It allows air inside the stem, which acts as an acoustic chamber, to flow out. So you hear deeper, richer bass tones. The overall audio quality of Apple EarPods is so impressive, they rival high-end headphones that cost hundreds of dollars more.
- Apple iPhone 5, iTunes 11, and new iPod event Liveblog (9to5mac.com)
- Apple unveils new EarPods, comes with new iPod touch, iPod nano, and iPhone 5 (9to5mac.com)
- Apple unveils fifth-generation iPod touch: ‘The best iPods we’ve ever done’ (9to5mac.com)
- iPod nano updated with larger 2.5-inch display, Bluetooth, Home button, and Lightning connector (9to5mac.com)
- Full list of carriers supporting LTE for iPhone 5 (9to5mac.com)
- Newly redesigned iTunes and App Store, new iTunes available in October (9to5mac.com)
- iPhone 5 preorders start Sept. 14 for $199, $299, $399, ships in 9 countries on Sept. 21 (9to5mac.com)
- Apple unveils Lightning connector and cables (as expected) (9to5mac.com)
- Apple by the numbers: 400m iOS devices, 7 million Mountain Lion upgrades, 17 million iPads last quarter, more (9to5mac.com)