At CES today, Logitech subsidiary Ultimate Ears (UE) announced its Megaboom Bluetooth speaker. Yes, it is a bigger, louder version of the popular UE Booms. That means it comes with apps that do things like equalize, set alarms and pair to stereo, with new features added all the time. The Megaboom also shares the 100-foot Bluetooth range and ability to pair with up to 8 devices with its smaller sibling.
But the bigger and louder sound of the Megaboom also comes with some nice extras not found in the other models. Megabooms are waterproof like crazy (IPX7). Bring it into the shower. Knock it in the pool (the shallow end, anyway). NBD. The MegaBoom also has a whopping 20-hour battery life but still charges via MicroUSB. Smart.
The cost: $299 is a significant $100 premium over the Booms and $200 premium over the Mini Booms and you’ll lose some portability with the bigger size. These are big and heavy and they don’t fit in a cupholder.
But if you want the banging-est sound you can find from a portable Bluetooth speaker, your search is over. I’ve secretly been reviewing a unit since last year and it is all true. The sound fills up a room, day at the beach, picnic, bikeride or destroys a car. It even works as a nice desk speaker. As I hinted in my Best Bluetooth Speaker o the year list, the Megaboom is as good, if not better than the other best $300 Bluetooth speakers we’ve reviewed: Bose Soundlink 3, Beats Pill XL and Jawbone’s Big Jambox have met their match!
- Pair up to 8 Bluetooth® enabled source devices – Connect up to two source devices at the same time.
- Wirelessly play (stream) to 2 UE MEGABOOMs from one source.
- Mobile range of play is up to 30m (100 ft).
- NFC (passive) enabled – (works with active NFC enabled source devices * Android Jellybean and higher).
- Maximum Sound Level: 90dBA
- Frequency Range: 65Hz – 20kHz
- Drivers: Two 2″ drivers and two 2” x 4” Passive Radiators
- Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery for up to 20 hours of battery life between Micro USB charges.
- Actual battery life will vary with use, settings and environmental conditions.
- Serviceable battery (it can be replaced)
- Charge time: 2.5 hours
2-YEAR LIMITED HARDWARE WARRANTY
- Diameter: 8.3cm (3.3”)
- Height: 22.6 cm (8.9”)
- Weight: 877 g (speaker only)
For Audio Playback:
– Smartphones, tablets and other devices that support Bluetooth® and Bluetooth Smart® wireless audio profile [Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)] or 3.5 mm audio output.
For Phone Calls:
– Phones that support Bluetooth® Hands-Free Profile (HFP1.5)
Waterproof – IPX7 rated:
– UE Megaboom can be immersed in liquid up to 1m for up to 30 minutes.
9to5Mac’s CES 2015 coverage brought to you by: