Apple has released the first iOS 11.2 beta for iPhone and iPad. We’re updating to see what changes are included in the latest developer software beta.
We’re still awaiting iOS 11.1 which is also in beta to ship to all customers. Changes we’re expecting include Apple Pay Cash, Messages in iCloud, and AirPlay 2 support. Apple Pay Cash has been available for employees to test, but beta versions including iOS 11.1 have not included support. Messages in iCloud was briefly available during the iOS 11 beta period, and AirPlay 2 has not been available yet. We’ll update with more shortly.
iOS 11.2 beta appears to only be available to developers so far; a public beta version will likely follow in a few days.
- iPhone 8 / 8 Plus / X marketing still wallpapers now available on older iPhones (download here)
- Feedback app included during beta
- No sign of Apple Pay Cash or Messages in iCloud yet, some level of AirPlay 2 present
- Calculator bug caused by slow animation fixed
- Some emoji are tweaked
Notes and Known Issues
- After using an iPhone with an iPhone dock, using a charger without the dock requires restarting the phone.
- Continuing from a breakpoint while debugging an ARSession may result in VIO breaking. Any visual objects placed in the world/anchor are not visible. (31561202)
- When using the TrueDepth front-facing camera on iPhone X, setting the capture device’s activeFormat to a binned video format (see AVCaptureDeviceFormat isVideoBinned) for capture and enabling delivery of camera calibration data causes the resulting AVCameraCalibrationData to contain invalid information for the intrinsicMatrix property. (34200225)
- Workaround: Select an alternate capture format whose isVideoBinned property is false.
- Note: Configuring a capture session using a session preset never selects binned formats.
- Initializing an EKCalendarChooser from EventKit can result in an app crash. (34608102)
- Storing data to a nondefault event store in EventKit may not work. (31335830)
- Workaround: Use startSecureConnection to establish a secure connection.
Photos UI API Extensions
- In iOS 11.2 beta 1 or later, the user interface of a photo editing extension is no longer limited to the safe area. Apple recommends following the Human Interface Guidelines for content insets. (34189209)
- Playing a Podcast with chapter markers may cause the Podcasts app to crash. (35117025)
- Workaround: Ask Siri to play a Podcast without chapter markers.
- For a broadcast extension that a user starts from within an app, the value for the RPVideoSampleOrientationKey of the CMSampleBufferRef of type RPSampleBufferType is always portrait. Starting the broadcast extension from the Control Center returns the correct value. (34559925)
- Displaying a page control in UIPageViewController on an iPhone X no longer overlaps the home indicator at the bottom of the screen. (34478195)
- Using a model that outputs an image with VNCoreMLRequest now works correctly. (34023914)
- VNHomographicImageRegistrationRequest and VNDetectBarcodesRequest now work correclty with images when using a request handler based on a URL (34919881)
- VNFaceLandmarkRegion2D is currently unavailable in Swift. (33191123)
- Facial landmarks identified by the Vision framework may flicker in temporal use cases such as video. (32406440)
- Debugging a disabled Messages extension may cause the Messages app to crash. (33657938)
- Workaround: Enable the extension before starting the debug session.
- After a simulated iOS device starts up, it’s not possible to pull down the Lock screen. (33274699)
- Workaround: Lock and unlock the simulated device and then reopen Home screen.