Have you noticed that when you try to delete messages in Gmail on iOS you only get an archive option? Read on for how to set Gmail to delete instead of archive in Mail on iPhone and iPad.
The setting to change the default option to deleting discarded email instead of archiving it is quite buried in settings, but it doesn’t take long to change once you know where to go.
Keep in mind, this tutorial is for those who use Gmail through Apple’s Mail app on iPhone and iPad.
How to set Gmail to delete instead of archive in Mail on iPhone and iPad
- Open Settings
- Swipe down and tap Passwords & Accounts
- Tap your Gmail account
- Select Account
- Tap Advanced
- Now below Move Discarded Messages Into: tap Deleted Mailbox
Here’s how the process looks:
Now tap Advanced, under Move Discarded Messages Into: tap Deleted Mailbox.
For more help getting the most out of your Apple devices, check out our how to guide as well as the following articles:
- How to reduce screen motion on iPhone and iPad
- How to activate eSIM on a T-Mobile postpaid account
- How to reorder watch faces on Apple Watch
- How to view Activity summary on Apple Watch
- How to check your heart rate on Apple Watch
- How to access Notes from the Lock Screen on iPhone and iPad
- How to turn off background app refresh on iPhone and iPad
- How to update personal info like weight on Apple Watch
- How to check if your carrier supports eSIM
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.