Samsung has issued a statement regarding claims of high-level talks with Apple concerning an ongoing legal dispute involving flagship mobile devices from both firms. A company spokesperson told V3.co.uk yesterday:
We are unaware of any meetings or discussions between the two sides over this matter.
The comment follows a report by Reuters which asserted that US district judge Lucy Koh told both parties during a Friday hearing to get their act together and come to an amicable solution. Apparently, Apple’s legal counsel Harold McElhinny told judge that Apple and Samsung executives are involved in talks. It’s obvious one of the parties is not telling the truth. This cat-and-mouse game is beginning to point at a possible settlement because neither party would benefit from dragging each other through the mud in a multi-year lawsuit. Plus, Samsung is Apple’s key supplier after all…
The Korean consumer electronics maker has previously characterized the patent spat with Apple as not being legally problematic, but warned it could grow. Apple, as you know, is claiming that Samsung slavishly copied the design, look and feel, functionality and other aspects of its iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. After complaining that Samsung “is harassing us” by demanding to see iPhone 5 and iPad 3 prototypes, Apple last week amended legal documents with stronger wording. They also expanded the scope of intellectual property rights to more Samsung products including the Nexus S 4G and “showcase” Galaxy S, but also really old handsets such as the Replenish and the Sidekick which Apple insists are iPhone ripoffs.
Cross-posted on 9to5Google.com