To go along with this morning’s third iOS 7 beta, Apple has released OS X Mavericks Developer Preview 3. This new preview arrives two weeks following Preview 2. Like Preview 2, it seems likely that Preview 3 focuses on bug and performance fixes.
OS X Mavericks launches for the general public this fall with new Maps and iBooks apps, significant battery life, scrolling, and overall performance adjustments, and power-user features like revamped multiple-monitor support, Finder Tags, Finder Tabs, and a faster Safari browser.
As readers discover changes in the new Mavericks preview, we will note them below. If you find anything new, you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The update comes in at 1.08 GB.
Release Notes / Known Issues:
- Network migration from earlier versions of OS X requires the Migration Update for Snow Leopard, Lion, or Mountain Lion available form the Mac Dev Center.
- Migration from Windows is not supported in Developer Preview 3.
- Reinstalling Developer Preview 3 from the Recovery Partition is not supported. Developer Preview 3 can be reinstalled using a Time Machine backup or Target Disk Mode.
iCloud and iCloud Keychain
- The Reset Keychain button in Account Details of the iCloud preferences pane is for testing purposes and will not be available in the final release.
- First time iCloud setup may fail. Disabled services may be manually enabled in the iCloud preferences pane.
- After upgrading to Developer Preview 3, iCloud Keychain will need to be re-enabled in the iCloud preferences pane.
- iCloud Keychain in OS X Mavericks Developer Seed 3 is not backward compatible with iOS 7 Seed 2 and OS X Mavericks Developer Seed 2.
- When enabling iCloud Keychain, a blank sheet may appear. Force Quit System Preferences and retry.
- Installation within a virtual machine is not supported for VMWare Fusion.
- Adobe After Effects CS6 will not function correctly.
- Screen recordings taken with Developer Preview 3 are not compatible with earlier releases of OS X.
- The QuickTime Player progress bar may be nonfunctional when opening media that requires conversion prior to playback.
- Aperture may exit unexpectedly when exporting an image while in full screen.
- Moving a full-screen Aperture window to a secondary display may prevent the app window from being visible in subsequent attempts to use full screen.
- When saving from Photoshop, ‘Save As’ may not respect selected filetype.
- Maps may display some graphical corruption when resizing windows or switching from standard to satellite view.
- Fusion Drive volumes created with Developer Preview 3 are not compatible with OS X version 10.8.4 or earlier.
- The headphone port on the new 2013 MacBook Air will not operate unless headphones are present at boot.
- On some machines, frequently sleeping and waking may result in the machine restarting.
- Developer Preview 3 includes OpenSSH 6.2p2.