In June, photos of purported physical mockups for the next-generation iPad Air (the next full-sized iPad) appeared on the web showing a similar design to the current model, but with some tweaks. Closely mimicking the improved design, images posted to Weibo this weekend purport to show a next-generation iPad Air frame with a redesigned speaker, recessed volume controls, and a new microphone next to the camera lens (like on the latests iPhones and iPods).

The photos do not show us much else, but they do provide some additional confirmation that a new iPad Air is on its way, and that the new tablet will not look much different externally from the current generation. While the exterior will be mostly the same, customers can count on the next full-sized Apple tablet to rock the iPhone’s Touch ID fingerprint scanner and a faster A8 processor. The same Weibo poster of the above photos also recently shared an engineering diagram for the next iPhone:

9c047e07gw1efahr7lih2j20fu0ecgmg

13 Responses to “Claimed next-gen iPad Air rear shell photos show redesigned speaker, recessed volume controls”

1. dcj001 says:

“the new tablet will not like much different than the current generation.”

So the will like the same?

2. So nothing really to look forward to and instead – skip the next release and wait for some REAL upgrade enhancements..

3. Reblogged this on Taste of Apple and commented:
    Looks about right. The speakers match the leaked speaker design of the iPhone 6 with a single row of machine drilled speaker holes. I personally prefer the two row design on the current product line, but it’s not a drastic change. I can’t say I’m a fan of the recessed buttons, as it it seems to me to give it a more “busy” appearance. Just my opinion of course. I’m most interested to see what improvements the A8 chip offers.

4. Alan Aurmont says:

I hate Apple’s new colorful logo.

5. rettun1 says:

There was another part much like this one leaked a few months back (with the single row of speaker holes and recessed buttons) and it was actually thinner than the current iPad Air. Any word on the thinness of this piece?

6. I only hope the new iPad Air doesn’t get so hot when I’m playing a video game, or watching movies while the thing is charging. I can feel it burning through my chest and my hands. I bet it is giving me cancer.

7. Taisir Eldos says:

I believe it will come out 1.2 gram less in weight! is tat right? what a news …

8. nonstoprug says:

I’m surprised no one has mentioned that the casing in the pictures is gold… Gold would be a first for the iPads.