Galaxy-Note-Edge

With Apple set to introduce its larger iPhones (and possibly its “iWatch” wearable) later this month on September 9, Samsung has just completed its IFA press conference announcing its latest flagships that will go head to head with the new iPhones this fall.

As expected, Samsung today officially unveiled its new Galaxy Note 4 with a 5.7-inch 2560×1440 Super AMOLED display, a new Galaxy Note Edge device with a wraparound display of sorts, as well as its new curved Gear S smart watch and the previously leaked VR headset powered by Oculus. The Galaxy Note Edge features the same updated internals and new metal chassis as the Galaxy Note 4, but also includes the curved, wraparound display on one edge as pictured above. In addition to announcing its partnership with Oculus for its new VR headset, Samsung also announced collaborations with Swarovski for crystal-covered cases for Note 4 and MontBlanc for new S Pen compatible styluses.

Head below for links to all the news from our sister site 9to5Google:

Samsung announces Quad HD 2560×1440 Galaxy Note 4 in a variety of colors

Samsung shows off Galaxy Note Edge, with dramatically curved side screen

Samsung announces curved Gear S smartwatch, shipping in October

Samsung shows off Oculus-powered Gear VR headset for Galaxy Note 4

92 Responses to “Samsung unveils new Note 4, Note Edge w/ wraparound display, & Gear S smartwatch set to take on larger iPhones/iWatch”

1. PMZanetti says:

LMAO! That is hideous. Samsung….you completely misunderstood the entire purpose of “Curved”. Apple isn’t “curving” its display you numbskulls…they are curving the glass itself in order to bend neatly into the curved sides…..that’s it.

• Wes says:

I think it looks cool.
      Cool AND 100% gimmicky. How could that possibly be useful and not annoying or easily broken??

Liked by 2 people

• Eli Matar says:

As hideous as large screens, right?
        When Samsung came out with large screens, we all believed what Apple told us with the Finger ad.
        I wonder how Tim will explain this on Monday.
        You will believe its hideous until Apple make it.

• Robert Nixon says:

@Eli Matar I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone argue that a phone was hideous solely on the basis of it having a large screen.

Liked by 3 people

• @Eli Apple doesn’t do gimmicks. Samsung and Andriod are 90% gimmicks which sell to very stupid humans. That’s okay though.

• Bryan Hough says:

Yeah, o0smoothies0o, cause actionable notifications are gimmicks. Cause an integrated home screen search with 24/7 contextual awareness is a gimmick. I switched to an iPhone 5s after spending years with Android back in January. I had to take it back within the 14 day return window and get a Moto X because the iPhone just feels “disconnected” and dumb. Trust me, Android isn’t for stupid humans. Actually most smart phone power users and tech savvy folk much prefer Android. iPhones are nice phones for old people who are afraid of technology though. My 70 year old aunt loves hers

Liked by 2 people

• Eli Matar says:

Keep an open mind never follow the herd. Samsung sell to stupid humans, but 2 millionaire I know use Galaxy S phones.
        (I use iPhones though).

Liked by 1 person

• Sorry boys, they will keep feeding you those gimmicks and you’ll keeping sucking it all up. Samsung’s greatest gimmick might be the heart rate sensor on the phone which you have to place your finger on. LMFAO. I’m not going to bother typing out why this is obscenely idiotic again, but hopefully some of you are intelligent enough to know why.

• crichton007 says:

I agree. I’ve watched The Verge’s hands-on video and this does seem intriguing too. I don’t think I’d like it but I’d like to play with a demo model at some time. That said though you know the big issue? How do southpaws use this?

Liked by 1 person

• Samsung hate left handed people: You, lefty, don’t use our Edge!

Liked by 1 person

• I agree with you. It’s hideaos. Also, it shows emails and calendar icons in one rotation and that weather info in another rotation. Because f*ck logic :D

Liked by 1 person

2. I wouldn’t use a Samsung phone if they gave me a zillion of them and they all crapped out golden eggs. Their insulting advertising turned me off years ago.

• crichton007 says:

I think you might be a little too sensitive here. I absolutely love that commercial where they guy makes fun of the headphone jack being moved to the bottom of the phone. Their other ones are usually humorous but more contrived than actually making a salient point. Take heart though: anyone who falls for one of their commercials is either someone who wouldn’t appreciate an iPhone or someone who will eventually realize how much better they can have it.

• thejuanald says:

If you think the iPhone is in any way more advanced than an android phone you’re insane. iOS is a few years behind android in terms of functionality and the flagship devices of all the major android manufacturers are all much more advanced than the iphone, including the one that will be announced.

What apple has going for it is their walled garden and their user experience that comes from limiting what people are allowed to do. It’s a phone for people who don’t want to (or are incapable of) doing more. Old people and tweens love them.

• crichton007 says:

You sound bitter.

• Eli Matar says:

Poor baby. Are you okaaaaaay?

• Now, if it crapped out golden eggs (every day!), I would think it through: how many Apple devices and apps could you purchase from the sold eggs?!!! :-)

And a yacht, villas, planes…

3. Do you think it’s only made for right handed people?

4. Tim Jr. says:

Ok, thats waiting to get smashed quick.. guess we’ll see in break tests soon.

• crichton007 says:

I wondered that too: how much will it cost to replace that screen when it gets broken? You know it will need it sooner rather than later. A client I work with had the S4 for 2 days before knocking her phone off of a coffee table onto the carpet a foot below and her screen spider-webbed. It cost the company more than the contract price of the phone to replace the screen. I chuckled and told her she should have gotten an iPhone.

• thejuanald says:

That’s bad, I’ve had my Note 3 and have dropped it on hard wood floors and once on concrete and it hasn’t cracked at all. I also had a friend who dropped his iPhone 4S two weeks after he got it off of a couch onto the carpet and completely shattered the back glass. I guess it all comes down to bad luck/positioning.

5. it looks “thick” in that top photo.
    and now not sure i like the look of the curved screen.
    could be nice but not sure about it.

but hey “we did it first”

6. Tim Jr. says:

Visually it gets a second look .. but functionally.. I have to wonder at the use cases.. and issues that will come with left hand use.. and durability of the screen.. and are you basically loosing that part of the screen to ‘slide’ widgets.. also, what will be visibility in dark and outdoor direct sun situations..

Samsung phones are not the best in direct sunlight to begin with..

Liked by 3 people

7. AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA. AAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. HAHA. HA. Huuhh. That is all.

8. David Smith says:

I am an apple fan, always have been, always will. If Apple would have done this we’d all be touting it as the greatest thing since sliced bread. I would definitely consider buying this phone, and I’ve had the iPhone since day 1. I will wait and see what the new 6 brings, but so far I’m impressed with what the Note can offer.

Liked by 1 person

• I thought it was a stupid idea when the rumor was that Apple was working on it. I still think it is a stupid idea.

This will cause so many problems in terms of usage (inadvertent touches) and durability (cases and how many more drops will it suffer as people try to keep the phone from registering a touch from a normal grip on the phone) that I suspect it will be a flop.

And I would think this even if Apple came out with it.

• Robert Nixon says:

If Apple had done this the blogosphere would be calling it the end of the Apple era.

Liked by 2 people

• No, you might. Not I. That looks hideous and it is a 100% gimmick like 90% of the features Samsung and Andriod offer.

9. paul55br says:

Galaxy Note Edge. At least something original and different from Samsung. Not the copying stuff.

10. poopdood says:

I normally dislike Samsung a LOT. However, the curved screen looks quite neat. Dunno if it’s not gonna rain a whole lot of display issues but judging just by the looks, I like it

11. Wes says:

Should it be me mentioned that Apple already holds a patent on this?
    The patent battles just won’t end, will they?

12. BenRadUK says:

Can’t wait for the infamous 9to5mac troll named herb02135go to show up…he’ll make me laugh harder than this phone design!
    Don’t disappoint me herbie :-)

Liked by 2 people

13. This is by no means a very good looking phone, but it’s exciting to see something new like this in tech and see Samsung not copying Apple for once, I don’t know how good the curved part of the display is, it’s probably just another gimmick.

14. Did I somehow end up on 9to5Samsung when trying to access 9to5Mac? This is the kind of content that should get passed over on this site.

15. Stylus?
    “Who wants a stylus right?” said Steve Jobs in 2007.
    Samsung, not only try to copy, but copy very badly.
    But it also says something about the millions of utter douchebags that buy Samsung shite.

Still, it may seem Apple have lost their edge over its competitors with regards to a cell phone. They’re still the best (imo) but the gap is closing fast.

• thejuanald says:

You seem much more like a douchebag than someone choosing a brand you don’t like. By the way, if you want to be able to go paperless and write notes, then a real stylus is absolutely necessary. Things like the Note Pro and Surface Pro are fantastic productivity tools, in addition to being fantastic personal devices. That is, if you have a job/education that requires you to be able to write write formulas, differential equations, mechanisms, graphs, schematics, chemical reactions, biological pathways, etc. You know, stuff that matters. Or hell, even if you’re an artist.

I love my Macbook Air, but some of you people are insane.

Liked by 1 person

• You’re right, I don’t write formulas on my smartphone, so I don’t need a stylus.
        Instead I use a keyboard and a stationary computer, not a smartphone for such tasks.
        Please, stick to the subject, we’re speaking about smartphones here, not tablets,computers, laptops e.t.c.

Although I do think the Surface Pro, despite its obvious failings, shows at least some little bit of potential.

• thejuanald says:

I was giving an example. I use my Note 3 for taking quick notes and reminders. It’s also pretty awesome for using to write text messages.

Eww, typing in derivations of partials on a keyboard.

16. Samsung’s watch and Andriod wear will look like the most embarrassing things ever when Apple’s is unveiled in a few days. God I wish we could see their faces, Samsung fan’s faces, and Herb’s face.

17. So, a wrap around edge made of glass… Are the engineers at Samsung ever capable of having an original thought/idea? They’ve spent so many years copying the ideas of Apple and others – even rumored ideas – that they have lost all capability of independent thought!

18. I like it, looks great and a very original design. Never thought I’d say it but good job samsung.

Liked by 1 person

19. Thank God you fanbois are irrelevant to Apple. If this ran iOS, I’d buy it.
    The only thing stopping me moving to an Android, is Android.

• Then you’d successfully buy into a worthless gimmick. Congrats lol

• herb02135go says:

Have you used Android? It’s very nice- tons of features and not a toy – like iphone. More like a real computer

• Yes, I have. Android is the toy. I can do a task in 2-3 steps on an iPhone that often takes 5-6 steps on Android. Android is Windows 3.1 for phones, with a Windows XP shell. It’s not a productivity tool for serious mobile users, it’s a teenagers plaything. Tons of features does not equal productivity, and for someone that spend hours every day making actual calls, no Android has the voice quality even remotely comparable to an iPhone. No Android can handle a phone call in a packed and noisy conference hall, the iPhone can. Remember what Steve Jobs said the killer app was?? MAKING PHONE CALLS. The iPhone is a smartphone. Android is a tablet that has been hacked to allow calls. Big difference.

20. ROTFLMMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nurse, I need stitches, I laughed too hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn’t we always know in our hearts this is what Samsung would be if they DIDN’T rip off Apple and others?

• zpaul2fresh8zpaul2fresh8 says:

LMAO at your post.

If Apple ever did bring something like this to the table the ONLY company who could create those displays would be Samsung.

Let’s create an iPhone shall we? (Possibly outdated in some aspects but you get the point)

Display = Sharp
      Memory = Samsung
      Camera Sensor = Sony
      Battery = Samsung
      Processor = ARM

There are a lot more components that are subbed out and this is why Samsung is passing Apple in the cell phone game. They already make just about every component in house, Display, SoCs, Battery, Memory modules, Camera sensors etc…

In a business aspect Samsung has the pieces in place to be king and in my eyes they are better than Apple at cell phones. Granted I’m not 50 years old and lacking a grasp on technology so I know what both companies and devices have to offer so that’s a no brainer.

And it doesn’t matter which company you chose to support, every crowd has it’s clowns that make the rest of us intelligent people shake their heads asking “Why?”…

21. herb02135go says:

Well-played, Ollie-son!
    Funny how no one suspects that our cubes are in the same building.
    Yea, we’re real. Just like wrestling!

22. herb02135go says:

Apple stock has taken a dive in response to the Samsung announcement and celebrity hacks.

Will it be down for the count??

Liked by 1 person

• Try to relax a little.
      I’ve got Apple stocks, its normal to dive&rise under different circumstances. It was also very low before iPhone came out.
      Now with iWatch coming out, there’ll be a time more or less the same, then it will rise again.

23. password92 says:

…..Look guys I can squint to read a couple letters on this small curved portion of my screen that I’m always seeing first! Plus it makes 100% sense to only have this side curved!

-Said No One Ever

24. Shrinivas says:

25. Xavier Gunz says:

wait is this for real? I thought it was a joke from the pages of the onion. Bravo Samsun, Bravo.

26. nsxrebel says:

Interesting design on that Note Edge, but that presentation was HORRIBLE, and that lady was annoying as fnck with her lame attempts at jokes. And Samsung is still using faux leather on the backs of their phones??

The Gear S looks like it’s much improved from that shit they came out with last year. But the lamest product of what they introduced, at least to me, that stupid VR contraption.

Oh well, I like how iOS works for me, so bring on the iPhone 6!

27. bananacubes says:

i’ m a really big fan of apple about 7 years ago , but yesterday when i watched the samsung event i felt like ” it is amazing what a good idea to compare a mobile whith the ocolus ” now i’m really excited about how apple will punch back ;)

28. Oh boy, the flood of Samsung gimmicks and crap is coming….

29. Iphones are for teenagers regardless of screen size. Fact.

• Barry, now you’re just trolling.
      iPhones are used by everyone of all age groups.
      But even if they were designed “just” for teenagers, then that’d be a good thing, not a bad thing, as teenagers grow up to be adults and continue to use iPhones. That’d be great as then Android would demise, except for poor Africans in Africa that could only afford Android.