Unleash the Programming Power of Tiger
If you already know Java and want to utilize the impressive array of innovations contained in Java 2, v1.5, this book is for you. Codenamed Tiger, Java 2 Platform, Standard Edition v5.0 (J2SE™ 5.0) is Java’s most extensive upgrade yet. Its many new features fundamentally alter the way Java code is written. For example, generics add a completely new syntax that enables the creation of type-safe, reusable code, and autoboxing simplifies the interplay between primitive types and objects. Moreover, all the new features work together to enable you to write more reliable code. By covering only what’s new in Tiger, this fast-paced guide gets you up to speed quickly, without rehashing what you already know. The world of Java is changing. Let best-selling author Herb Schildt show you how to move your programming skills to Java 2, v5.0 today.
- Apply the power of generics to create type-safe, resuable code
- Streamline code with autoboxing and auto-unboxing
- Use the enhanced for loop to cycle through collections and arrays
- Create more flexible methods through the use of varargs (variable-length arguments)
- See how Java’s class-based approach to enumerations fundamentally increases their power
- Embed supplemental annotations (metadata) into a source file
- Import static members of a class or interface and then refer to them directly by name, without a class qualification
- Create formatted output and read formatted input with Formatter and Scanner classes
- Learn about the major changes to the Java API
Herbert Schildt is a leading authority on Java, C, C++, and C#. His programming books have sold more than 3 million copies worldwide and have been translated into all major foreign languages.