My Computerworld colleague Mike Elgan found a little bit of interesting news in a job posting online. Looks like Microsoft is hiring that certain someone for a new App store type of thing called "Skymarket" (I guess Sky Mall was taken?).
According to the ad, the service/store plans to debut in 2009 on Windows Mobile 7. Google announced a similar service for Android phones last week. It seems the iTunes App Store is kinda a big deal…
From the Job posting:
Job Title: Senior Product Manager – Skymarket
This is a unique opportunity and time of rapid change in the mobile industry for a Senior Product Manager in the Mobile Communications Services team to drive the launch of a v1 marketplace service for Windows Mobile.
…according to their Job posting the candidate will be involved in:
- "Definition of the product offering, pricing, business model and policies that will make the Windows Mobile marketplace “the place to be” for developers wishing to distribute and monetize their Windows Mobile application
- Responsibility for the business model and key elements that will drive the optimal experience for developers and monetization of the service by Microsoft
- Preparation and driving the cross group collaboration for the initial launch of the marketplace offering to the developer community this fall
- Preparation and driving the cross group collaboration with stakeholders in the commercial launch of the marketplace service with the launch of WM 7
- Define and mange the consumer, developer and mobile operator value proposition and supporting materials for use by PR, MCB’s developer outreach organization, and other teams across Microsoft
- Work closely with product planning on prioritization of consumer, developer, and mobile operator scenarios
- Support business development on engagements with mobile operators and integration of the marketplace offering into broader Microsoft services offerings or discussions
- Work closely with the Mobile Communication Business developer outreach organization
- Management of KPI’s for the service post launch"
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.