With Windows 7 out the breech and Snow Leopard already purring on many Macs, news that VMWare Fusion 3.0 ships today, October 27, is well-timed.
You may have missed the brilliant weekend deal which enabled you to pick up a copy of this sophisticated virtual machine software for just c.$27 this weekend…however, it is available now through Amazon in the US at $5 off book price, $74.99. (Steeper discount on a higher price in the UK, where you can pick up a copy for £58.99, as against the £68.46 book price).
We have been impressed by the speed and parity with which the virtualisation software runs guest OS’s on the Mac. The Unity engine is extremely stable (as far as we can tell), the integration between the OS’s impresses, and it opens your Mac up for Open GL and Directx support.
Better still, if you plan switching to Mac and have an old WIndows install disk, using the built-in Migration Assistant for Windows, VMware Fusion 3 can convert your entire PC and bring it over to your Mac in a few easy steps, giving you access to your Windows applications, documents and other files. Just install a simple application on your PC, connect it to your Mac with a cable or wirelessly, and VMware Fusion will guide you through the rest.
• VMware Fusion 3 provides the ultimate Windows experience on the Mac
• Optimized for Mac OS X Leopard and Snow Leopard
• 64-bit native and advanced 3D graphics
• Windows 7 support including Windows Aero and Flip 3D animations
• Ultra-fast Migration Assistant for Windows to transfer your entire PC to your Mac wirelessly or using an Ethernet cable.
Oh, and it’s not just Windows, the software lets you run a host of guest OS’s, including multiple Linux distros.