MacRumors is reporting that Apple is readying Black MacBook Airs in its next refresh.
We’ve received several anonymous tips claiming that at least some models of the next-generation MacBook Air will be be available with a black finish, different from the aluminum case used on the current MacBook Air and most of Apple’s other Macs. The most specific of the claims suggests that a black anodized aluminum case would be available on a top-end MacBook Air model, in much the same way as Apple once offered a high-end black MacBook on top of the standard white offerings.
Remember that when we first broke the news of a MacBook Air way back in 2007 (without Optical drives), we’d been told there was a black version. That information was later verified with the Ebay auction selling a prototype MacBook Air with a Black aluminum shell (pictured above, another shot below).
We’ve also received an anonymous tip with a similar Lion/Sandy Bridge/Thunderbolt/Next few weeks release information. That tip also said a $899 starting price point.
Update: A reliable source has told us that they haven’t seen any Black in the new MacBook Air materials
- Refreshed MacBook Air available late June? (9to5mac.com)
- Refurbished Apple MacBook Air Laptops: From $829 + free shipping (9to5toys.com)
- Apple updating Apple Store displays on Tuesday night; new product launch on Wednesday? (9to5mac.com)
- All new Mac Pros and upgraded Mac minis with Sandy Bridge and Thunderbolt in early August? (9to5mac.com)
- Rumor: MacBook Airs Not Coming Until Late June [Unconfirmed] (gizmodo.com)
- Apple Back to School Sale: Buy a Mac, get a $100 Gift Card for !free (9to5toys.com)
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.