Dragon just updated its Dictate software for Mac with some interesting new additions. Most notable is the ability to dictate with your iPhone using an iTunes app. Also, updated is the ability to Tweet or post to Facebook or search the web with just a command:
- “Post to Facebook [I love Dragon]”
- “Post to Twitter [Tweeting is so much easier by voice]”
- “Search Google for hula dancing lessons”
- “Search Bing for wedding dress repair”
- “Search Yahoo for gondola rentals”
- “Search Mail for RSVP”
- “Search Mac for history term paper”
Full list of improvements below:
Dragon Dictate 2.5 for Mac lets you accomplish more on your Mac than you ever imagined possible. Dragon Dictate 2.5 delivers amazing new features that will help you get more done faster whether you’re at home, at work, or wherever life takes you. One of the best new features of Dictate 2.5 is the ability to combine talking and typing in Microsoft Word. In previous versions of Dragon Dictate, users were forced to complete their documents entirely by voice. But Dictate 2.5 gives users the freedom to interact with their computers using the method that works best at any given moment – dictation plus mouse or keyboard entry. The result is complete flexibility and improved efficiency for document creation and editing within Microsoft Word 2011. Additional flexibility is delivered with new Auto Formatting capabilities so that you can be sure Dragon Dictate works the way you work.
Dragon Dictate also works with the new Dragon Remote Microphone app (free from the Apple app store) so that you can turn your iPhone or iPod touch into a wireless microphone. Now you can achieve the same great accurate recognition without the headset wires!
Enhanced Hardware and Software Support
- Microsoft Word 2011 Support: Dictate 2.5 allows users to seamlessly combine dictation with manual input from the mouse and keyboard. This ability to “mix talking and typing” within Microsoft Word was the most requested product enhancement request. In addition, Dictate 2.5 offers built-in voice commands for controlling Microsoft Word 2011. These voice commands allow users to format text, insert tables and graphics, and control menu items by voice.
New Audio Input Options
- iPhone as Wireless Microphone: Most customers use Dragon by speaking directly to their Mac using the microphone included with their Dragon software purchase. But some users can be frustrated by wearing a headset that tethers them to their Mac. With the introduction of the free Dragon Remote Microphone application (available in the Apple app store), users can achieve the same great accurate transcription using a device many already have: their iPhone! The Dragon Remote Microphone app converts a user’s iPhone 3G, 3GS and 4, iPad and iPad 2 or iPod Touch 4th gen running iOS 4.2, or later into a wireless microphone via WiFi.
Time-Saving Voice Commands
- New Facebook and Twitter Commands: Users can easily update Facebook by saying “Post to Facebook”, “Post to Facebook [text],” or “Post that to Facebook.” Tweets are quickly captured by voice: a user selects dictated or typed text (via mouse or voice command), and says “Post that to Twitter.” Additional Twitter commands include “Tweet [text]” (English only) and “Post to Twitter [text].”
Improved Formatting Control
- Formatting Enhancements: With the new Auto Formatting dialog, users have greater control over the way certain data is formatted. Individual preferences can be set for dates and time (e.g., June 18, 2011 vs. 6/18/11), numbers and units of measure (e.g., five vs. 5), addresses, abbreviations, and more. Users can also set a preference to insert two spaces after a period, if they choose.
- Numbers Mode: Version 2.5 introduces Numbers Mode, which can be particularly helpful for users that frequently dictate many numbers in a row, such as inputting figures or product codes into a database. When in Numbers Mode, Dragon recognizes everything it hears as a number or as a command.
- Vocabulary Editor Improvements: Users can now delete words from the built-in Dragon vocabulary. This is helpful if a vocabulary entry you don’t need “competes” with something you regularly dictate (such as competing spellings like Schaeffer and Schafer).
Getting Started with Dragon is Faster and Easier
- Faster and Easier to Create a User Profile: Version 2.5 updates the Voice Training component of user profile creation, introducing new additional training text.
User Interface and Usability Enhancements
- Auto Sleep Microphone: If the microphone is on but does not receive input after one minute, the microphone will automatically go into Sleep mode. This Auto Sleep functionality is helpful as it forces users to follow effective microphone control even when you forget to turn the microphone off. With version 2.5, users can set personal preference for the time allotted for the Auto Sleep microphone functionality (any range from 30 seconds to five minutes). Users also have the option to turn off the Auto Sleep functionality entirely.