A slew of apps either updated or made announcements recently, and 9to5Mac gathered the most noteworthy ones in our regular round up below. Today’s crop includes a new project on Indiegogo, UI tweaks to popular iOS apps, a Mac app adding more features, interface refreshes for a Web browser and an instant-messaging client, and even some new Flipboard stats in celebration of its second birthday. Per usual, we will continue to update this list throughout the day.
Check them out:
- WordPress iOS app gets interface overhaul, new power-user features, performance boost (9to5mac.com)
- Facebook rebuilds iOS app for speed, runs twice as fast, instant photo loading, out today (9to5mac.com)
- Apps & updates: The World Ends with You, CNN 2012 U.S. Election Center, Clueful, more (9to5mac.com)
Findables | via Indiegogo
The easiest way to learn about Findables, one of the latest projects to launch a fund-raising campaign on Indiegogo, is to simply watch the video above. The service allows users to put a “digital fingerprint” on anything—from laptops to animals. Once the code is scanned, users can share specific profiles for different needs. In the campaign video, the developers demonstrate how users can toggle between business and social profiles with just a tap. Findables has currently raised $680 (as of press time) of its $12,500 goal, but it still has 31 days left to go. Check it out: Make Yourself, Your iPhone, And All Your Stuff Findable
TuneIn Radio Pro for iOS | 99 cents
Version 2.8.1 hit today with new user-interface actions. Folks can now purchase songs by simply tapping the iTunes button on the Now Playing screen, and they can further save a station or artist by tapping the app’s Heart icon. This will add the desired content to their Favorites menu, which is accessible on any device with a free TuneIn account. The update requires iOS 4 and above.
Flipboard for iOS | Free
This news-aggregating app did not receive an update, but the service announced its second birthday today. Flipboard launched iPhone and smartphone editions last year, and since then it has “debuted features like Cover Stories, audio and shopping; added seven new social networks; forged partnerships with publishers like The New York Times, and localized into eight languages.” The most notable tidbit, however, is that Flipboard reached 20 million users. Moreover, it experiences one new user per second. Happy Birthday, Flipboard!
Dolphin for iOS | Free
This popular alternative Web browser just went to version 6.0. The update refreshes the design and interface with new tab management on the right sidebar, menus and settings moved to the bottom, full screen scroll, auto suggestions in URL bar, a new color and way to access Gesture and Sonar, and a speed dial including news buttons and wallpaper.
SongPop Free for iOS | Free
Version 1.2.47 landed last night and brought the free version up to speed with its $1.99 counterpart. Aside from performance enhancements and bug fixes, this music-based trivia game added the now-seemingly standard “Pull to Refresh” feature to its user-interface.
Mint QuickView for Mac | Free
This app serves as a companion to Mint.com by giving users an “up-to-date snapshot” of their finances on a Mac desktop. Version 2.0.0 rolled out yesterday and brought a bevy of new features, including budgets, available cash balance, and the ability to view loan transactions.
Trillian for iOS | Free
This popular instant messaging app, which works on both desktop and mobile devices for syncing chats between them, just updated to version 2.0. And boy, is the update huge. The most noteworthy improvement includes iPad support, but I can’t even summarize everything else without writing a book. So, just look below:
- – LAUNCHPAD: Trillian’s new launchpad lets you keep up with the people most important to you at a single glance. Don’t worry, your contact list is still readily available, searchable, and sortable according to your personal preferences.
- – ADDRESS BOOK: Trillian can now optionally import names and photos from your address book. Make your launchpad shine by showcasing beautiful photos of your contacts.
- – SECURITY: We’ve taken additional steps to secure all traffic coming from Trillian using TLS, meaning all of your chats are now protected from third-party eavesdropping.
- – USER INTERFACE: Almost every screen of Trillian has been touched up and polished, from minor graphic updates to ensuring orientation changes are as smooth as silk.
- – NOTIFICATIONS: Chat windows now support in-window notifications to let you easily read messages from more than one person at a time.
- – MOBILE INDICATOR: As a special bonus for those of you that use the Trillian chat network, we’ve added an optional mobile indicator to let your friends know when you’re on the phone.
- – SAVE OUTGOING PICTURES: A common request, you can now instruct Trillian to save photos as you send them to others, ensuring you never lose a funny photo again.
- – NEW EMOTICONS: We’ve polished up our existing emoticons and added a whole bunch of new ones for your chatting pleasure.
- – INVITES: You can now invite your friends to use Trillian from within the app if you have their phone number. Even cooler, when your friends join Trillian and approve your add request they will automatically sign online without the need to exchange usernames!
- – AND: Support for the iPad? You got it! The new version of Trillian is now a universal app, and we’ve created a very unique iPad-only user interface that we think you’ll really enjoy.
Keep checking back for more!