Apple updated its beta to iOS 6.1.3 beta 2 after the release of the 6.1.1 and 6.1.2 bug fixes last month, and we heard around that time that 6.1.3 was expected in the coming weeks to bring the enhancements to Maps. Apple has not yet released 6.1.3, but several users in Japan have confirmed the updates are live as of today.
Apple’s enhancements to Maps in Japan included the following when released in beta:
- Improved pronunciation of roads during turn-by-turn navigation
- Optimized directions to more strongly prefer highways over narrower roads
- Now indicates upcoming toll roads during turn-by-turn navigation
- Added labels for junctions, interchanges, on-ramps, off-ramps, and intersections
- Added indicators for transit station buildings, subway lines, and traffic lights
- Updated freeway color to green
- Updated icons for some location categories including fire stations, hospitals, and post offices
- Added 3D buildings including Tokyo Station, Japan Imperial Palace, and Tokyo Tower
Developers of the popular Evasi0n jailbreak tool confirmed that Apple patched critical exploits in the 6.1.3 beta 2 that break the jailbreak process.