I keep my Parallels Windows VM around to do stuff like Quickbooks, upgrade Mifi Firmware and occasionally check websites in IE (see our PArallels 10 review here) not to experiment with the latest versions of Redmond’s OS.
But if you want to check out what’s coming down the pike in Windows-land without leaving your trusty Mac, Parallels has an Installation guide for you. First step: if you haven’t already, download Parallels 10 (free Trial)…
- Before installing a virtual machine you need to sign up for Windows Insider Program and download Windows 10 Technical Preview, an early look at the future of Windows.
- Download Windows 10 Technical Preview VM shell on your Mac with Parallels Desktop 10 installed -> double-click on the archive to unzip the virtual machine shell -> move the virtual machine shell to ~/Documents/Parallels/
- Double-click on the Windows 10 Technical Preview VM shell.pvm file -> Parallels Desktop will ask whether you have copied or moved the virtual machine -> click Copied
NOTE: If your Mac has 4GB of RAM, Parallels Desktop prompts to decrease an amount of RAM assigned to the virtual machine:
Hit Don’t Change button
- Then the virtual machine will show you a blank Preboot eXecution Environment (PXE) screen -> Go to Actions menu and Stopthe virtual machine:
- Go back to Actions menu -> Configure… -> Hardware tab -> CD/DVD 1 page -> Connect to: -> Choose an image file… ->locate WindowsTechnicalPreview.iso file and choose it.
- Launch Windows 10 Technical Preview VM shell virtual machine -> Proceed with Windows installation.
- When the install is finished, create a user account and access Windows 10 Technical Preview Desktop.
- Now, to install Parallels Tools please click on Devices tab -> CD/DVD 1 -> Connect Image… -> locate prl-tools-win.iso at:
Applications -> Parallels Desktop -> Contents -> Resources -> Tools
and connect this image to Windows 10 Technical Preview VM shell virtual machine.
- In the virtual machine go to This PC and double-click on DVD Drive (D:) Parallels Tools -> proceed with Parallels Tools installation.
- When all setups are finished, you may shutdown the virtual machine and rename it in the configuration window.