As 9to5Google has been reporting all day, Samsung today officially unveiled its new Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ flagship. The devices tout dual aperture cameras, curved displays, and more. As you would expect, however, Samsung was sure to take some jabs at Apple during its (very unenthusiastic) keynote…
Ecobee HomeKit Thermostat
While touting that the Galaxy S9 is “for the visual and social generation,” Samsung patted itself on the back for its so-called Infinity Display that sees the screen stretch to the edges of the front of the device.
Samsung touts that the Galaxy S9 takes the Infinity Display to the next level, making it so you can’t even tell “where the screen ends.”
The punch line? There’s no notch.
“When we released the Infinity Display, most people had never seen anything like it. Its ground breaking design offered more screen in less space, and quickly set a new industry standard.
With the S9, we’ve built on this foundation, taking the same immersive end-to-end display, and refining it even further. We’ve created a design so sleek and unified, you can hardly tell where the screen ends.
And as always, you know, there’s no notch.”
Furthermore, Samsung has adjusted the fingerprint scanner’s position on the Galaxy S9 after listening “carefully to your feedback.” The company says the fingerprint scanner is one of the “the most popular ways to unlock our phones,” which is why the S9 didn’t get rid of it, unlike Apple.
“Take the fingerprint scanner for example, which we all know is one of the most popular ways we like to unlock our phones. Which is why we didn’t get rid of it. Instead we listed carefully to your feedback and we moved the fingerprint scanner directly below the camera.”
I’d personally argue that Samsung didn’t get rid of the fingerprint scanner because its attempts at face recognition have been massive busts, but maybe I’m wrong.
Watch the clip below and be sure to check out 9to5Google for all of today’s Samsung news.
Galaxy S9 news from 9to5Google:
- Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ go official with dual aperture camera, differing specs, more
- Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ Specs: 2018’s internals and some camera improvements
- Samsung Galaxy S9 tidbits: Pricing, ARCore, louder speakers, Android Oreo, Gear VR, dual-aperture & Quick Charge 2.0
- Carrier availability: Pricing and pre-order bonuses for Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ at AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint, more
- Samsung Galaxy S9 & S9+ get unboxed by T-Mobile ‘on the moon’
- Check out the Samsung Galaxy S9’s best features in these new hands-on videos
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.