As we inch closer to Apple’s earnings report next week, CIRP today has released its latest research note breaking down the split between sales of the various iPhone and iPad models. Echoing data from Kantar yesterday, CIRP’s note shows how older iPhones are remaining popular through 2018…
CIRP’s research found that the iPhone 8 Plus was the top-selling iPhone model during the second quarter of 2018 in the United States, accounting for 24 percent of sales. Meanwhile, the iPhone X accounted for 17 percent, while the iPhone 8 sat at 13 percent.
All in all, the 2017 iPhone models accounted for 54 percent of iPhone sales, while the remaining 46 percent was split between older models. This compares to last year when the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus – then the newest models – accounted for over 80 percent of sales.
“In what is usually a quieter quarter for iPhone sales, the model breakdown is interesting, as older models persisted in popularity,” said Josh Lowitz, CIRP Partner and Co-Founder. “The latest iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and X models accounted for a little more than half of sales, yet last year at this time the then-latest iPhone 7 and 7 Plus accounted for over 80%.
Meanwhile, on the iPad side of the market, the 2017/2018 9.7-inch iPad priced at $329 accounted for 31 percent of sales, while the iPad Pro models combined for 40 percent, split relatively evenly. Interestingly, the iPad mini 4 locked in 18 percent of sales – up roughly 7 percent compared to the same quarter last year.
“In the past year, Apple has consolidated the iPad product line, down to four models,” said Mike Levin, CIRP Partner and Co-Founder. “Share is distributed pretty evenly among them, ranging from 18% for the mini and Pro 12.9 inch models, to 31% for the basic 9.7 inch iPad. In comparison, Apple now has eight iPhone models, with share ranging from 3% for iPhone 6S Plus to 24% for iPhone 8 Plus.”
Today’s report from CIRP is just the latest to suggest that Apple has made a wise choice in keeping older iPhone models around at lower price points. Yesterday, data from Kantar indicated that the iPhone accounted for 8 out of 10 best selling smartphones during Q2.
Apple will hold its earnings call on July 31st.