Final Cut Pro X has arguably been one of the most important pieces of software ever created, putting professional video editing tools into the hands of aspiring film-makers for a relatively affordable price.
Film editor Bradley Olsen decided last year it was time to tell the story, crowdfunding a movie about the app. That movie – Off The Tracks – is now available on iTunes, and if you are quick and can get to New York, you could snag free tickets to the premiere next month …
The story begins with the controversial introduction of version 10, which completely reinvented the user interface, causing dismay and panic among many film-makers and editors used to the previous UI.
Video professionals and software developers weigh in on Apple’s controversial decision to radically redesign their popular video editing application Final Cut Pro. With the release of Final Cut Pro X in 2011 many video editors chose to switch over to other more familiar systems rather than learn Apple’s new editing application. In the aftermath of this exodus Apple continued to develop Final Cut Pro X and today it is being used by millions of content creators worldwide. This documentary explores the ideas that went into making Final Cut Pro X and how it is being used on everything from YouTube videos to Hollywood movies. Change is radical.
Among those interviewed for the documentary is Randy Ubillos, creator of Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro, Aperture, iMovie and Final Cut Pro X. Others include:
- Michael Cioni, Vice President of Innovation at Panavision and Light Iron.
- Glenn Ficarra, director of the first major Hollywood feature film edited in Final Cut Pro X: Focus.
- Sam Mestman, founder of LumaForge, which makes shared storage optimized for Final Cut Pro X and leads several filmmaker communities.
- Gergana Angelova, behind the scenes video editor for Expendables 3
- Peter Wiggins, a broadcast Final Cut Pro X editor who also runs FCP.co
Where? SVA Theater 333 W 23rd St, New York, NY 10011
When? Tuesday October 2nd 6:15PM Meet & Greet with lite bites & beverages 7:00PM Off the Tracks Premiere 8:30PM Q&A to follow!
Please share your own Final Cut Pro stories in the comments.