I was really excited finding out that Skitch went free on the Mac App Store as Evernote earlier this morning at a conference in San Francisco announced intentions to acquire the company. Both programs are actually high-quality pieces of software, each in its own right. I’ve been an avid Skitch user since its early (and free) beta days.
This über-cool screenshot taking, editing and sharing app later went down the paid route and as much as I’d grown dependent on its elegant labeling capabilities that capture attention (useful for blogging), I never did wrap my head around actually purchasing the software. Starting today, you can download Skitch for Mac free, a considerable saving over the previous $20 price tag.
In addition, our Android frenemies can download Skitch onto their mobile phones and Tech Crunch confirms an iOS app is in the works as Evernote remains devoted to bringing “Skitch to every desktop and mobile platform under the sun”. They will keep it as a separate app while integrating its features into Evernote over time. The full list of features, a couple of screenies and a promo clip right after the break.
Skitch, your image Swiss army knife. Screen capture, crop, resize, sketch then share – fast. With the free built-in skitch.com image hosting, Skitch is the fastest and easiest way to share your work and your life.
You can use skitch to:
• Give feedback to a colleague on their work
• Point out bugs that need fixing
• Quickly mockup changes for your website
• Screen grab your online life
• Share images to Facebook & Twitter
• Point out something to your Grandma
• Draw an image from scratch
• Scribble a moustache on a photo of your friend
Fast & easy sharing
Skitch offers easy upload to the free skitch.com service with a single click. Within minutes you can create a collection of images for sharing publicly, privately with a select few, or just for yourself.
• Screen grab your desktop, web browser or apps
• Annotate with pen, text, shapes and arrows
• Instantly upload to skitch.com, Flickr, FTP & .me
• Resize, crop, rotate & flip images
• Capture full length (longer than your screen) websites
• Take photos with your built in webcam
• Open and save in many different image formats
• Archive and re-use images from your Skitch history