9to5Mac has once again scoured the App Store for all the latest app launches, price drops, noteworthy news, and updates, and we have compiled everything in a roundup below. Check it out, but keep coming back as we continually refresh the list throughout the day.
1. Evernote Hello | Free Version 2.0 just launched with a redesign that makes it easier for users to remember everyone they meet, including the ability to scan business cards and covert them to Hello Contacts with information and pictures from LinkedIn and Facebook. Evernote said unlimited business card scanning for all users is only available for a limited time, though. The update also includes a new Hello Connect function for exchanging information with nearby Hello users, as well as the ability to add richer contact information and related notes from Evernote. As for the redesign, the home screen now features timeline groups people by time and location, while the app automatically pulls contact information from Facebook, LinkedIn, and the address book. It also pushes Hello contacts into users’ address books.
More details on version 2.0 are available at the Evernote blog.
2. Penultimate | Free Version 4.0 of this note-taking app launched this morning with full Evernote sync capability. For those unaware, Evernote bought Penultimate in May 2012. In today’s update, users can save all Penultimate notes to Evernote, so they can keep, view, and search them across every device with Evernote. The Evernote support also includes storage and Evernote’s handwriting tech to allow handwriting search in Penultimate notes. Folks also have a chance to opt-out of the changes, though. The updated app further sports a redesign, sharper ink for Retina displays, and Russian and Traditional Chinese languages. Oh, and iOS 5 support is coming in the next update.
More apps and updates below.
- Apple rumored to open first retail store in Berlin, new Castro St. San Francisco location
- Apple announces 128GB iPad with Retina display, available Feb. 5 for $799/$929
- Is this the back of Apple’s redesigned fifth-generation iPad?
- Facebook updates iOS app with in-app video recording, voice messages, improved Nearby tab
- Apple quietly releases firmware for a new Apple TV 3,2
2. Angry Birds Star Wars | 99 cents Version 1.1.2 of this popular Angry Birds franchise title hit today, and the app’s change log includes the following summary of updates:
After the epic Battle of Hoth, the Rebel Birds have barely escaped the ice planet with the Pigtroopers in close pursuit! There’s an asteroid field close by that could provide some cover… but watch out, there’s more to it than meets the eye! Make your way through 20 nail-biting levels! Discover 2 new bonus levels! Watch out for mynock pigs in the belly of the asteroid! Make a daring escape in an epic moving boss fight!
3. Fantastical | $4.99 Version 1.0.4 of this calendar app fixed multiple crashes, a problem where birthday events incorrectly appeared as all-day events, a bug where certain days showed no events, a situation where the parser could ignore the time when entering a sentence, and other unspecified problems.
4. Vyclone | Free Version 1.8.2 of this video app now allows users to link and unlink their Vyclone account to Facebook.
5. Ice Age Village | Free Version 1.1.4 of this Ice Age franchise title reintroduces Buck, the hero from the third Ice Age movie, and invites users to join him in his underground world. The change log includes the following updates:
- Explore the exciting new Dinosaur World and DOUBLE the size of your village!
- Play “Collect Frenzy” and grab coin bonuses!
- Find homes for 5 new dinosaur species!
- Give your village a special look with 12 new decorations.
- Try 2 fun new buildings with a prehistoric twist.
6. Foodspotting | Free Version 3.8 of this foodie app features under-the hood-updates like improved sharing and the following enhancements:
- Drafts: Take a photo and add details later.
- Skip Photo: Jot down the place & dish name while you still have the menu and add a photo later.
- Suggested Places: See suggested places based on where the photo was take (if you’ve allowed location services).
- Date Taken: See the date taken (instead of date uploaded) on your profile and following feed.
- Lists: Like Guides and Nearby Places have been unified to use unified search controls and paging.
7. Asphalt 7 | 99 cents Version 1.0.7 of this racing game launched last night and features a “high-octane update,” with the following improvements:
- Melt the asphalt with the new SSC Tuatara.
- New lottery: The only way to win the Koenigsegg Agera R.
- 2 new cups: Lamborghini and SSC Tuatara!
- Brace yourself for events and limited-time cups.
- Crazy and challenging new content coming soon!
8. Tumblr| Free Version 3.2.4 of Tumblr’s official app landed yesterday, but it only includes small bug fixes.
9. Air Display | $9.99 Version 1.8 of this wireless display app hit sometime last night with Windows Key keyboard support, improved letter-boxing in Mirror Mode, and Mirror Mode Retina iPad stretched screen fix.
10. Splashtop 2 | $4.99 Version 188.8.131.52 of this remote desktop app went live yesterday and now allows Windows 8 gestures when connected to a Windows 8 PC. Additional updates include:
- Use on-screen shortcuts to more easily control media players, browsers, Office apps, and even games (optional in-app purchase)
- Run Splashtop 2 as a background app (switch to another app without losing connection)
- Copy-and-paste between your computer and iPad
- Easier access to control bar and other usability improvements
- Bug fixes
- Please install the latest Streamer from http://www.splashtop.com/streamer to enable Windows 8 gestures.
11. Pocket | Free Version 4.3 of this “Read it later” app now allows iOS 6 users to share to Facebook and Sina Weibo. It also includes the ability to delete articles while reading, jump to lists or open links while reading, increase font size in Article view, and it boasts a Get Started tutorial in the Help menu. The latest version further sports the following fixes:
- Sharing certain articles to Evernote no longer displays an error
- Evernote International users in China can now log in
- Saving to Evernote while offline no longer causes a crash
- Tweet Attribution will now appear while using Pocket offline
- Gap no longer appears below the last item in the list
- Other bug fixes, design refinements, and improvements
11. iColorama | $1.99 Version 3.0 of this photo-editing app introduces Explode brushes that work better with “border to 0.25,” as well as six new Painterly presets that fix colors with adjust and sharpen tools. Additional updates include:
- Deforms and Escher: A bunch of sliders to control and play.
- Crop: Now with ratios.
12. Tiny Tower | Free Version 2.1.5 of this build-and-manage-a-tiny-tower app now includes Valentine’s Day Content. It also fixed bug where multiple VIP icons would appear.
- The Sims™ Medieval | 99 cents (was $2.99)
- BATTLEFIELD: BAD COMPANY™ 2 | 99 cents (was $2.99)
- Reckless Racing HD | 99 cents (was $4.99)
- THE GAME OF LIFE™ for iPad | 99 cents (was $6.99)
- Legends of Atlantis: Exodus HD Premium | $1.99 (was $4.99)
- Penultimate | Free (was 99 cents)
- Pocket Informant Pro | $8.99 (was $14.99)
- 9to5Toys: 1Password | 50-percent off