Canada’s government today approved of Apple’s iBookstore and this means Canadian titles will soon be making their way to the store. Prior to today’s announcement the iBookstore was available for Canadian iOS device users sans Canadian works. For this to happen, Apple and Canada needed to strike up a deal and it seems to work out for everyone. Canada’s iBookstore now must be tailored effectively for Canadian users, Apple must offer assistance to Canadian publishers, more opportunities to Canadian-based writers, and of course the promotion of Canadian books.
Our Government is committed to strengthening Canada’s economy through all its sectors, especially arts and culture,” said Minister Moore. “Apple has demonstrated how iBookstore Canada represents new opportunities for Canadian authors and publishers, and I have determined that this investment will be of net benefit to Canada.
Full details after the break:
- Promotion of Canadian-authored books–both French- and English-language titles–in iBookstore in Canada and other iBookstores internationally;
- Increased opportunities for Canadian publishers and authors, including new and independent writers;
- Increased access to titles from Aboriginal authors and publishers;
- Assistance to Canadian publishers in streamlining processes of e-book creation and enhancement; and
- Jobs for Canadians and improved services for Canadian consumers, including an iBookstore tailored to Canadian readers.