Ron Johnson, the mastermind behind Apple’s successful retail store strategy, has left Apple to become the CEO of JCPenney according to Bloomberg (terminal) via Business Insider.
Ron Johnson joined Apple as senior vice president in January 2000. Reporting directly to the CEO, Johnson leads Apple’s retail strategy and is responsible for its overall execution and performance. Under Ron’s leadership, Apple has opened over 300 stores to date. Johnson has over 20 years of experience in retail and merchandising as well as a strong track record for delivering consistent year over year growth for billion-dollar companies.
Before joining Apple, Johnson held various management positions at the Target Corporation, most recently as Vice President of Merchandising for Target Stores. In this capacity, Johnson presided over a successful period of growth at Target, playing a key role in developing new initiatives for branding, marketing and merchandising. He led the team responsible for launching the Michael Graves exclusive line of products, as well as the addition of other key brands to the store’s selection.
Johnson received his M.B.A. from Harvard and his Bachelor of Arts in Economics from Stanford University.
Update: The WSJ has now verified the appointment which should be announced later today.
- Apple Store 2.0 revealed: Startup Sessions, interactive iPad signage, new sound/display systems, new app? (9to5mac.com)
- HTC boss does some field research in Apple’s Palo Alto store (9to5mac.com)
- Unlocked iPhone 4s reach U.S. Apple Stores ahead of Wednesday availability; start at $649? (9to5mac.com)
- Apple updating Apple Store displays on Tuesday night; new product launch on Wednesday? (9to5mac.com)
- Foxconn CEO: Apple products “very difficult” to make (9to5mac.com)
- A new Apple store to open near the North Carolina iTunes super datacenter by year’s end (9to5mac.com)
- Apple’s first Russian store to open near Kremlin by late 2011? (9to5mac.com)
- Apple Store 2.0 event is international, will hit Pacific first (9to5mac.com)
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.