We learned last year that the new iPad is codenamed “J2” in the iOS 5.1Beta software, and we learned last week that it will probably be announced at the beginning of next month. However, we also learned about another Apple Jxx product: The next Apple TV. It is codenamed “J33” and “AppleTV 3,1” in the 5.1B software. This new Apple TV will also feature the low-power Bluetooth 4.0 technology. Perhaps, besides both showing up in iOS 5.1 software, the Jxx devices are also A6 devices? We cannot tell if this new device will be a 1080P/A6 upgrade from the current or something bigger.
So, when will it be delivered?
One of our Best Buy sources just pinged us and alerted us that Apple TV is not just out of stock at his store, but Apple TVs are no longer shipping to the stores at all anymore.
A customer was inquiring tonight about Apple TV. However right now we are out of stock (Which hasn’t happened since I started). Not only were we out of stock, but also I was also unable to order one from our product ordering system (OMS). Product was listed as “currently unavailable”. From prior experience, this usually is associated with a product that is being “discontinued”.
A visit to Best Buy.com shows that it is out of stock online. Only some stores have them in stock and if those are like our tipster’s, as seen above, they cannot order any more either. A quick check around the web shows an eerily similar pattern: Amazon is out for “2-5 weeks”, as seen below, which fits into Apple’s iPad announcement window, and it has returned to calling it the “2010 model.” Some of Amazon’s third party retailers do have them in stock, however.
We checked Target and many others too…
Walmart? Erased from existence.
Buy.com? Out of stock:
Radio Shack? Only available in stores (and none that we could find).
Some online resellers do have them in stock. MacMall and MacConnection, for instance, have them. However, it seems more than a little curious that the biggest retailers in the United States all seem to be running dry on Apple TVs just ahead of an Apple event.
- New prototype AppleTV visits ISPs up north, can be controlled only by voice or hand gestures (9to5mac.com)
- Hulu Plus app is ready for Apple TV, decision to update is “political not technical” (9to5mac.com)
- Munster offers three content scenarios for iTV, says Apple tapping ‘major TV component supplier’ for late 2012 launch (9to5mac.com)
- Developer working to make running iOS apps on the Apple TV a reality, complete with side-by-side windows (9to5mac.com)
- Apple TV iOS applications now running natively at fullscreen 720p resolution in developer port (9to5mac.com)