UPDATE: Apple proved CNBC terribly wrong and officially announced that iPad 3 will be introduced at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco at 10 a.m. PST on March 7.
A tweet by CNBC circulating around has generated a stir among the Apple community, claiming that Apple is launching quad-core (we are hearing enhanced dual-core) iPad 3 next month (it got the timeframe right) at a media event apparently held in New York City.
The tweet, attributed to “sources,” said:
ALERT: Quad-Core iPad 3 with 4G LTE to be unveiled in New York next week. -Sources
True, the iPad maker introduced several products at pressers in the Big Apple. This includes the Verizon iPhone launch, The Daily announcement, and recent iBooks Author, iTunes U and iBooks 2 with Textbooks launches. Having said that, it would be out of character for Apple to hold such a high-profile product launch on the East Coast instead of its Cupertino campus or San Francisco’s Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, where both the original iPad and iPad 2 launches took place.
CNBC offered no new news here and its video report (included above) simply reaffirms Bloomberg’s January report asserting iPad 3 will support fourth-generation Long-Term Evolution cellular connectivity. The iPad 3 launch in New York City does not seem to fly with anyone, mind you.
The Loop’s Jim Dalrymple tweeted that CNBC is wrong, specifically claiming, “It won’t be in NY.” Dalrymple has a proven track record and he is known for debunking incorrect claims. Just a few examples: He previously dismissed February iPad 3 launch claims, was first to report on Apple’s Let’s talk iPhone event, and sources told his beard that iPhone 5 will not launch at WWDC 2011.
- iPad 3 to not include quad-core processor? (9to5mac.com)
- iPad 3 with quad-core A6, LTE to be announced on March 7th? (9to5mac.com)
- Debug tool shows quad-core A6 and LTE capabilities on iPad 3 (9to5mac.com)
- Bloomberg: iPad 3 production starts for March launch, packs Retina Display, LTE, quad-core chip (9to5mac.com)
- Photo shows that Apple may have prototyped iPad 3 with “A5X” processor last year (9to5mac.com)
- WSJ: Verizon and AT&T to carry iPad 3 LTE (9to5mac.com)
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.