According to a report this evening from Finnish pub SK24, a 17-year-old Finn named Henri Helminen was carrying his iPhone in his back pocket (stick with us here) when it spontaneously started smoking in a big way. We all know Lithium batteries can— if something is wrong— explode or behave like in the video. But, usually there has to be some major malfunction. An Australian man’s iPhone blew up recently, but it was traced to a poorly done third-party repair.

This is a little too close to Nokia’s headquarters for us to believe off the bat. We will continue to follow the story to see what has happened.

Video of the exploding iPhone below:

FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.


Check out 9to5Mac on YouTube for more Apple news:

You’re reading 9to5Mac — experts who break news about Apple and its surrounding ecosystem, day after day. Be sure to check out our homepage for all the latest news, and follow 9to5Mac on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn to stay in the loop. Don’t know where to start? Check out our exclusive stories, reviews, how-tos, and subscribe to our YouTube channel

About the Author

Seth Weintraub's favorite gear