If you’re fed up with Time Capsule and looking for a reliable, feature-filled NAS solution that also packs in some killer iOS companion apps and AirPlay support, we’re huge fans of Diskstation NAS Enclosures from Synology. We’ve reviewed the Synology NAS experience in the past, such as the two bay SD212 Diskstation, but today the company has announced its latest 8-bay unit with the launch of the new “DS1813+” model.
The new unit is similar to the 5 bay DS1513+ model it launched earlier this month, features the same screwless drive bays supporting 3.5-inch and 2.5-inch drives, but also includes four GbE ports and speeds up to 350 MBps reads and 200 MBps writes. On top of some nice iOS, web, and Android apps for managing all of your content, Synology also offers apps for printer sharing, VPN server, ERP software, mail server, web server, anti-virus, and network video surveillance built-in.
The best 4K & 5K displays for Mac
The new 8-bay DS1813+ Diskstation will sell for $1099, $99 more than the 5-bay model announced earlier this month. It should hit Amazon any second now right here.
- -211.88 MB/sec Writing, 352.39 MB/sec Reading
- -Four LAN Ports with Link Aggregation Support
- -Scale up to 72TB with Synology DX513
- -Expandable RAM Module (Up to 4GB)
- -CPU Passive Cooling Technology & System Fan Redundancy
- -VMware®, Citrix®, Microsoft® Hyper-V® Ready
- -High Availability and Automatic Failover by SHA
- -Powered by Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM)