Apple TV users will notice a new channel in the lineup today: CBS News. The newly added CBS News channel is available for free and features the CBSN streaming news channel launched by CBS earlier today. Viewers can also access on-demand content from previous broadcasts of CBS Evening News and CBS This Morning. Additional on-demand content from shows including 60 Minutes, 48 Hours, Sunday Morning, and Face the Nation can also be found for free.
CBS describes its newly launched CBSN effort as “the first digital streaming news network that will allow Internet-connected consumers to watch live, anchored news coverage on their connected TV and other devices.”
Apple TV users can immediately access the streaming network without having to log in or authenticate any type of subscription or account. CBS News is also available on Amazon Fire and Roku, with iOS and Android versions coming soon.
Features of the network will include:
· Live, anchored coverage from 9:00 AM – midnight ET every weekday;
· Simulcasts of CBS News special reports for breaking news;
· Additional content from a range of CBS sources including CBS News, CBS affiliate stations, CNET, CBSSports.com, Entertainment Tonight and more;
· Accessibility across key connected TV devices including Amazon Fire TV, Roku players, Roku TV™ and others, as well as additional core CBS News digital platforms including CBSNews.com, its mobile website and the newly launched CBS News app for Windows 8/8.1 and Windows Phone 8/8.1 available through the Windows Store and Windows Phone Store. CBSN will also be available on the CBS News apps for Android and other leading platforms before the end of the year.
· Personal choice and control through DVR-like functionality that enable viewers to watch the segments they’re interested in or tune into the live programming seamlessly;
· The ability to share content from the experience via social media accounts with compatible devices;
· The opportunity for advertisers to reach engaged news consumers with custom ad integrations.
While the CBS News channel’s CBSN is completely free for viewers, the streaming network is ad-supported so expect to see regularly aired commercials between segments.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.