In this week’s top stories: WWDC coverage kicked into full gear ahead of Apple’s event on Monday, we discussed USB-C and upcoming MacBook Pros, and Apple announced welcomed subscription and revenue changes for the App Store.
Apple’s plan to become an energy company by selling off its excess renewable electricity was revealed this week, and we also showed you how to drive a 4K display at 60 Hz with the new 2016 MacBook in this week’s top video.
The best 4K & 5K displays for Mac
WWDC 2016 |
Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference will begin Monday with the company’s keynote address/press event where it typically unveils the latest software releases and sometimes new hardware. This year sources say WWDC will be a big software year, meaning we’re not expecting to see much new and notable hardware if any.
We broke down everything you need to know with a preview of what to expect and info on how to tune in to the event, and we also discussed some of the expected new feature announcements with the community:
- WWDC Preview: No new hardware but plenty of Siri, iMessage may get money transfers
- Report: ‘Major iTunes overhaul’ to be announced at WWDC w/ Apple Music revamp
- WWDC 2016 preview: How to watch & what to expect at Apple’s event on Monday
- Apple updates WWDC app w/ dark theme, first Apple TV version
- Feature Request: WWDC 2016 wish list for iOS, MacOS, watchOS, and tvOS
- OS X 10.12 & Mac: What will Apple show off for Mac at WWDC 2016?
- Poll: What features and changes do you want to see in iOS 10 at WWDC?
- Apple starts decorating Moscone West with logos for WWDC 2016
- Poll: What should Apple call the next version of OS X for the Mac?
- Report claims iMessage for Android to be announced at WWDC 2016
- Siri spotted talking about the ‘Finder’ (Siri for Mac incoming?)
Reports of an upcoming MacBook Pro sporting an OLED touch bar in place of the function key row has made for a lot of excitement in recent weeks. That continued this week with a few concepts imagining what the hardware might look like, and we shared more thoughts on how the new MacBook Pro’s rumored touch-panel could work.
- MacBook OLED bar concept w/ USB-C ports & monster trackpad…take my money
- New MacBook Pro concept envisions what an OLED fn-key row might look like
- PSA: USB-C on Apple’s new MacBook is a circus
- Opinion: More thoughts on how the new MacBook Pro’s rumored touch-panel could work
- Latest hint at ‘macOS’ rebranding of OS X appears in new App Store guidelines
- ‘Reliable’ supply chain source says Apple announcing new MacBook Air this month
iPhone | iOS
Apple announced an increase to App Store subscription revenue for developers this week ahead of WWDC, as well as announcing new paid search results. And there were also a few iPhone 7 and iOS 10 concepts and rumors this week, including one report claiming iPhone 7 could come in a dark blue color option to replace the current Space Gray color.
- Apple details App Store changes including new subscription revenue split & search result ads
- Apple releases iOS 9.3.3 developer beta 2 incl first 9.7 iPad Pro version + watchOS 2.2.2 beta 1
- Mother uses Hey Siri to call ambulance while performing CPR on 1-year-old daughter
- Concept imagines dark mode + split screen features for iPhone 7 & iOS 10
- iPhone 7 to come in blue? Space Gray to be cast off says latest rumor
- Bose gears up for rumored removal of 3.5mm headphone jack in iPhone 7 with wireless QuietComfort
News broke this week that Apple is setting up a subsidiary looking to sell excess electricity into the grid, while the company paid tribute to the pass of Muhammad Ali on its website.
- Apple has just become an energy company to sell excess electricity into grid
- Guardian gives us a first look at failed prototype car Steve Jobs asked to see in 2010
- Apple commemorates Muhammad Ali with homepage tribute
- New Apple Store shirts may have helped thieves pose as staff to steal $66k’s worth of iPhones
And we finish off with the latest iPad and app news as Jeff shows us how to drive a 4K display at 60 Hz on the 2016 MacBook in this week’s top video.
- Review: BookBook for iPad Pro integrates kickstand and Apple Pencil holder
- Benchmarks show notable differences between iPad Pro models, but similar real-life performance
- Snapchat updates Stories and Discover with new look and subscriptions
- You can now post to Instagram directly from Photos and other iOS apps
- Microsoft offers new Planner app to ‘eligible’ Office 365 subscribers [Video]
- Now you can post 360-degree photos on Facebook straight from iOS camera app
This week’s top videos |
- How-To: Drive a 4K display at 60 Hz with the 2016 MacBook
- Review: LG’s USB-C-enabled 4K Monitor lends single cable simplicity to 12″ MacBook
- This 3D printed case allows Android to run on the iPhone
- Apple continues ‘Shot on iPhone’ campaign with 8 new videos