Rumored features, specs, pricing, & release date:
- New dual-camera system
- Thinner iPhone 6-like design w/ redesigned antenna lines
- 32GB base storage, 256GB option
- New darker ‘Space Black’ color option
- Redesigned Force Touch Home Button
- Removal of 3.5mm headphone jack
The iPhone 7 is looking less likely to be a major ‘tick’ update – with a completely fresh design – and more like a ‘tock’ update, with a design looking much like the existing iPhone 6/6S. So much so that we recently discussed if Apple might reconsider the expected iPhone 7 branding for the next iPhone.
The reports kicked off back in April with a KGI note suggesting that the iPhone 7 may not offer ‘many attractive selling points.’ Since then, we’ve seen a succession of reports and leaks appearing to support the view that the exterior design will look similar to existing models, just with tidier antenna lines and possibly a slightly thinner profile. We may finally see the base model change to 32GB, with a 32/64/256GB line-up.
One controversial change we’re expecting is for Apple to drop the 3.5mm headphone socket, relying instead on Lightning headphones or wireless ones Bluetooth headphones. We previously reported that Apple was developing truly wireless earbuds, but it’s unclear if Apple plans to debut those in time for the iPhone 7 launch.
The iPhone 7 Plus – or possibly Pro – looks set to get a dual-camera setup. It appears that the smaller model isn’t going to get this, though a larger lens shown in alleged leaked images of the smaller model does suggest some kind of camera upgrade. At least one report claimed the 4.7-inch iPhone 7 would get optical image stabilization, a feature that was previously available only on the larger 5.5-inch iPhone models.
You can read some key reports here, then scroll down for all the latest iPhone 7 stories.
- Jan 27, 2016: KGI: iPhone 7 Plus likely to feature dual-camera system for better photos...
- Feb 23, 2016: How the rumored dual-camera system in the iPhone 7 Plus could work [Video]
- March 13, 2016: Purported iPhone 7 chassis pictures show redesigned antenna lines, new larger camera
- April 24, 2016: KGI: iPhone sales in 2016 could be lower than 2014 as iPhone 7 has no ’attractive’ updates
- May 31, 2016: In run-up to iPhone 7, Nikkei reports Apple moving to 3-year major iPhone refresh cycle
- June 21, 2016: WSJ: iPhone 7 w/ similar design and removed headphone jack this fall, major changes next year
- June 23, 2016: Rumored iPhone 7 pricing shows 256GB model, 32GB base & pricier ‘Pro’ lineup
- June 25, 2016: Latest round of leaked iPhone 7 photos show new (larger) cameras for both 4.7 inch and 5.5 inch models
- June 27, 2016: iPhone 7 now seems likely to come in Space Black to match Apple Watch, as other rumors emerge
- June 28, 2016: Analysts corroborate reports claiming the iPhone 7 will feature a Force Touch Home button
Render via @VenyaGeskin1
216 iPhone 7 stories
May 2014 - August 2016