All signs are pointing to Apple’s iPhone 8 arriving with new technologies that will replace Touch ID as we know it. So far the predicted possibilities include an optical fingerprint sensor, facial and gesture recognition, a next generation on-screen capacitive touch method, and as we reported last year when Apple filed the patent, ultrasonic imaging. More details have just come out about how sound imaging technology will work in a patent filed today by Apple.
Check out our top stories on iPhone 8:
- iPhone 8 concept images imagine rumored stainless steel sides – with curved glass edges
- KGI: iPhone 8 will feature new 3D Touch pressure-sensitive sensor to work with flexible OLED display
- iPhone 8 could introduce facial recognition feature using new laser sensor, analyst predicts
- iPhone 8 rumored to feature better waterproofing than iPhone 7, tout IP68 rating
- iPhone 8: Everything we currently know about Apple’s 10th anniversary flagship
The 10th anniversary iPhone will be released this year and it’s shaping up to be a big update. Predictions so far include a glass and stainless steel redesign with a bezel-less OLED display, a new in-display Touch ID paired with facial recognition, updates to 3D Touch, improved waterproofing, wireless charging, and more.
Analysts are predicting that the iPhone 8 will outsell the iPhone 6 as there is a larger base of iPhone users waiting to upgrade than ever before.