If you’re getting a new Apple Watch or iPhone, getting a replacement, or selling either device you’ll want to unpair your Apple Watch first. Follow along for an easy to follow walkthrough on how to unpair your Apple Watch with or without your iPhone and also an option if you’ve forgotten your Apple Watch passcode.
Whoosh! Screen Cleaner
Before unpairing your Apple Watch make sure to back up your information. If you backup your iPhone with iCloud or iTunes an Apple Watch backup is automatically created. Note that backups must be encrypted for all data to be saved in the Apple Watch backup when using iTunes.
How to unpair an Apple Watch
Unpair with your iPhone
If you have the iPhone your Apple Watch is paired with, completing the unpairing process is best done through the Watch app on your iPhone.
- Make sure your Watch is close to your iPhone and launch the Watch app
- Tap on the My Watch tab at the bottom if not already there
- Tap on the Watch you’d like to unpair
- Tap the to the right of your Watch
- Tap Unpair Apple Watch, tap Unpair again
- Enter your Apple ID Password and tap Unpair
Here is a walkthrough with photos:
The reason this is the best method to use (when possible) is this will remove the Watch from your account, disable Activation Lock, and remove Find My Watch.
Unpair Apple Watch without iPhone
If you need to unpair your Watch and don’t have access to your iPhone or can’t remember your Apple Watch passcode, follow these steps:
- Put your Apple Watch on its charger
- Press and hold the side button as if you were going to power it down
- Do a firm press on the POWER OFF slider and let go
- Tap Erase all content and settings
Here’s what you’ll see as you go through the process this way:
Alternately, you can go to Settings → General → Reset to erase and unpair your Apple Watch if you know your passcode, but the option above is faster.
If you need to erase and unpair your Apple Watch without your iPhone, you can log on to icloud.com and remove your Apple Watch under Settings → My Devices. Be sure to check out our how to guide for more ways to get the most out of your Apple devices.