Apple has released tvOS 11.3 beta 2 for registered developers to test on Apple TV (fourth-gen) and Apple TV 4K. We’ll dig in to the new version and detail changes below.
New in tvOS 11.3
- Apple TV shows up in Home app with tvOS 11.3, doesn’t work as hub for automation and remote access without tvOS 11.3 on iOS 11.3, AirPlay 2 also working
- Apple TV (fourth gen) now supports frame rate matching, previously required Apple TV 4K
- Match Content has been improved per release notes
- New Privacy explainer at launch
- Apple TV location now pulls from HomeKit rooms
- See how your data is managed section
New in Beta 2
tvOS 11.3 includes new features, bug fixes, and security improvements in the OS and SDK, including:
• Enhancements to Match Content support. • Automatic frame rate switching on Apple TV (4th generation).• Automatic mode switching for AirPlay video sessions.
• When an app that is launched with a PIN code is placed in the background, the tvOS Home Screen may become unusable. (36845891)
Workaround: Disable restrictions for apps temporarily in Settings > General > Restrictions > Allowed Content.
• The TV Provider sign-in prompt is now shown on initial tvOS setup screens. (36559610)
Workaround: Use startSecureConnection to establish a secure connection.Mobile Device Management New Features
• Added the following settings to device management. For more information, see the Configuration Profile Reference and MDM Protocol Reference.
• Restrictexplicitmusicandbookstoreeroticabyrating. • Restrictapps,moviesandTVshowsbyrating. • Skip the Privacy screen during setup. • Skip the “Where is this Apple TV” screen during setup. • Restrict Remote app connections to specified iOS devices.• Update an app while in Single App Mode.
• It is not possible to skip all initial setup screens when using an MDM server configuration with Device Enrollment Program supervised devices. (35919886)
• Upgrade installs will trigger additional setup prompts for supervised devices. A remote is needed to complete the upgrade. (36674710)
• Suspending an active video player that isn’t using the default frame rate or the default dynamic range may result in the host application UI remaining in the custom video mode when the video is resumed. (37094440)
Workaround: Close any active video player, and then close and re-open the app to restore the default system mode.
• Added support for automatic frame rate to AVKit for Apple TV (4th generation). Apps that don’t use AVKit for video playback can add support using APIs previously introduced in the tvOS 11.2 SDK. For more information, see: https://developer.apple.com/fall17/503.
• Conditionallypinnedon-demandresourceloading(usingconditionallyBeginAccessingResourcesWithCompletionHandler) now works correctly when upgrading to tvOS 11.3 (36836402)
• Resourcesembeddeddirectlyinassetpacksintheproductbundlearen’tloaded. (37089083)
TVMLKit / Web Inspector
• oneupTemplate doesn’t render full screen images. (37045770)New Features
- Enhanced the prototype element to provide different structure through the use of queries and enhanced binding support to bind the children of a node.
- Added viewing of local and remote image resources for XHR requests to the Network tab of Safari Web Inspector.
- Clicking on the Start Element Selection button of Safari Web Inspector now opens the Elements tab to the focussed view of a TVMLKit app.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.