FireCore announced today that it successfully jailbroke the Apple TV 2 (not the new Apple TV 1080P that released earlier this month). The jailbreak is tethered, which requires the Apple TV to be connected to a Mac/PC when first powering it on (only once). You also have to pay fireCore $30, but it has been plenty good about updating.
What’s new in the 5.0 AppleTV software? Should I update?
- New interface: – Fast, visual access to all content choices
- Movie purchases in iCloud: Support for buying movies on Apple TV and playing back purchased movies from iCloud
- Genius Recommendations: Recommendations for content on the iTunes Store based on previous rentals and purchases
- Screensaver photos: New National Geographic photos built-in for screensaver
- On-device sign-up: On-device sign up for content partners on Apple TV using your Apple ID
Which plugins are currently supported on 5.0?
- Couch Surfer (works)
- Last.fm (works)
- Maintenance (works)
- Media Player (works)
- NitoTV (works)
- RSS Feeds (works)
- Weather (works)
- Overflow (not working)
- Plex (not working)
- Remote HD (not working)
- Rowmote (not working)
- XBMC (not working)
Note: Non-working items require an author update for 5.0 compatibility.
- Universal and Fox movies blocked from iCloud on new Apple TV? (9to5mac.com)
- Apple unveils new Apple TV: Streamlined UI, 1080p video output, full HD iCloud movies, same $99 price (9to5mac.com)