Screen Shot 2013-07-29 at 9.58.55 AM

Three weeks following the previous seed, Apple has released iOS 7 beta 4 for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch to registered developers. The release follows Apple’s Developer Portal going back online late last week following an 8 day outage. The new seed is available via the over-the-air Software Update function in the iOS Settings app.

The previous beta release brought several user-facing changes (video here), including a sharper system-wide font, interface enhancements to Safari, Calendar, App Store, and Music, as well as improvements to Home screen folder transparency, a functional built-in dictionary tool, and more improvements to Siri’s more realistic voices.

A download link and claims regarding this new beta emerged earlier this morning. As the public release of iOS 7 approaches this fall, it is likely that beta 4 will continue providing interface and stability enhancements.

If you find anything new in this beta, you can let us know at tips@9to5mac.com. We will keep updating this post with a running change log of findings (below):

Lock screen is no longer confusing:

Screen Shot 2013-07-29 at 10.24.13 AM

- Safari graphics tweaks:

Screen Shot 2013-07-29 at 10.43.22 AM

Tweaked filters UI (and added for some older iPhone models):

IMG_3515

Search bar in Reminders:

Screen Shot 2013-07-29 at 10.45.43 AM

- Readers reporting minor keyboard tweaks

Screen Shot 2013-07-29 at 10.57.21 AM

- Improved back buttons in setup:

Screen Shot 2013-07-29 at 10.49.47 AM

- New AirPlay icons:

Screen Shot 2013-07-29 at 11.40.22 AM

- Slight UI tweak to Newsstand:

image

- Shuffle all songs is back:

Screen Shot 2013-07-29 at 10.51.56 AM

- Improved animations and transparency in folders on the Home screen.

- New iPad resolution changing button while running iPhone-only apps:

Screen Shot 2013-07-29 at 10.53.33 AM

- Completed uploads notifications:

Screen Shot 2013-07-29 at 10.56.47 AM

-  Siri Q/A

IMG_3518

- Choose a sound for AirDrop alerts:

Screen Shot 2013-07-29 at 11.42.05 AM

- Faster calibration in Compass.

- iPad multitasking now supports unlimited apps. Previous betas capped it at 10 open apps.

- Video of snappier animations

213 Responses to “iOS 7 beta 4 seeded to developers: Tweaks to Lock screen, Spotlight, Phone, Folders, Siri”

1. there’s now a disclaimer about the pre-release nature blah blah blah before you’re able to download.

2. Arush Wadhwa says:

Where is the change log?

3. Angel Lopez says:

Its almost done installing, hopefully this takes care of the phone randomly rebooting when your making a phone call. So far I love iOS7 and I hope it keeps improving over time :)

4. all songs from a playlist can now be downloaded at once under itunes match.

5. totencough says:

The battery is now monochrome, instead of green like it was on previous betas (I’ve been waiting for this)

6. Alex Yamil says:

Folders On Dock Animation Fixed

7. I can’t believe they changed the call button! That was one of the design changes that I absolutely loved.

8. Steve Grenier says:

I don’t like the new rounded corners for the call buttons. Looked better edge to edge without rounded corners. Also, is it just me or has anyone noticed they overcropped the hell out of wallpapers? They seem significantly more zoomed in than before and a large portion is missing (even if you bend your phone like a madman)

• kagekiso says:

Yeah I hate how the wallpaper is all zoomed in now. Not sure if it’s a bug…I hope it’s not!

• zackpsimpson says:

They may be over-cropped in order to improve the parallax effect. Try turning off Parallax in the settings and see if that does the trick. If not it’s most likely a bug

• Steve Grenier says:

Turning parallax off “fixes” it. I did a quick measurement and it looks like they are zooming in wallpapers to 140%. Probably to give better horizontal movement. The downside is it’s now cropped off just over 200px on the top and bottom. For wallpapers with people in them, expect a lot of cut off heads.

9. Looking forward to see if they fixed the Music app. Until now it has been quite buggy.

10. Robert Nixon says:

Still no web/wikipedia search from Spotlight. I’m going to highly pissed if this feature doesn’t make it’s way back into the final version.

11. And there was also some orientation issues on the iPad.

12. Taylor Smith says:

Swipe left/right in Notification Centre.

13. Jun Kyoung says:

I know that in previous versions of iOS 7 you couldn’t choose an option to play all the songs from a particular artist (if they were from different albums)… has this been fixed?

Also, I liked the old phone icons too but perhaps I’ll adjust to the new ones soon enough.

Really glad that they added the feature to swipe between panels…

• cpatch says:

Playing all songs from an artist has been fixed (finally)…if you scroll to the top of an artist page there’s a “Shuffle All Songs” button.

14. The Podcasts app took a long time to load up the podcasts in Beta 4.

15. Zoheb Khan says:

i m not a developer, is it ok if i update ???

16. Camera App now has changed the white tap to focus square to a Yellow one and HDR has been integrated into the status bar.

17. Henry Floyd says:

Changes I have noticed in iOS 7 beta 4 so far:

“Swipe to unlock” now has a little arrow, and the shiny white animation on the letters is faster and more opaque (to make it more obvious for beginners)

“Today”, “All”, and “Missed” in notification center are now capitalized

Little arrows for notification and control centers on the lock screen are now lines instead of arrows

App folders in the dock FINALLY have the zoom-in animation that all the other non-docked app folders do

“Search iPhone” now has a Cancel button

Folder background transparency has changed yet again, they look a little more dulled down in color this time

18. Just me or is the weather icon…bluer?

19. Settings app doesn’t crash when you swap background images

20. the new look of iOS 7 is really ugly, the feel should be minimal, but those colors are tacky.

21. Speed enhancements galore! At least this is what I am noticing…

22. Anyone notice moving between the home-connect-discover-me buttons on twitter are taking forever?

23. zackpsimpson says:

“Next” and “Back” buttons on Safari keyboard are replaced by arrows.

24. It’s almost like you have to hold your finger on those buttons longer to get it to switch

25. I don’t know if its been posted, but when you get a notification and your screen is locked, if you select that notification it now only moves the one selected where as in beta 3 it moved the whole page.

26. Alex Muller says:

It also seems that when text messaging someone, they now just show the last initial, as in “John D” instead of “John Doe” or “John D…”

27. Steve Grenier says:

When you view an attachment in the Messages app, there’s now an icon in the bottom right to view all other attachments. Although it’s limited to the conversation history. i.e. to see more you need to first “Load Earlier Messages”

28. Safari now shows the URL in small type after the title bar disappears.

• cpatch says:

Unless I’m misunderstanding, it’s done this since beta 1, although it looks like they tweaked the UI in this release.

• griffinjar says:

Do you know how to edit the square links to Apple, Disney, ESPN etc?

• cpatch says:

The ones that appear when you go to edit the URL, or when you save a shortcut to the home page? Either way, they’re based on icons provided by the respective web sites and can’t be edited.

• If by edit you mean remove, I found the answer on Apple’s website. It would have driven me nuts if I couldn’t remove these four default shortcuts!

Go to Bookmarks -> Favourites and then edit your Favourites.
        Deleting a favourite will delete one of the icons on the Welcome page.
        Adding one will add an icon to the Welcome page.

29. So I’m logged in via twitter and can post a comment but it’s still asking me to log in via wordpress to reply? What’s up with that?

30. Jun Kyoung says:

Update follows through for non-developer devices.

31. gmail icon in Mail app has been changed to show the actual google icon rather than gmail icon..

32. Pauly Pops says:

This is a HUUUUGE difference in speed, everything feels really slick now. All the tweens and animations are perfect.

33. Download all for playlists for users with iTunes Match is back. FINALLY!

34. Email Font looks much bigger now

35. yahoo mail icon in Mail app has been updated too

36. The latest lock screen looks great. I can already tell its going to be much more useful (and its done better than stock Android).

37. Ted Stalcup says:

The Frequently visited “red dot” map in Privacy-Location Services-System Services-Frequent Locations is gone and replaced with “Improve Maps.”

38. Completed uploads to what?

39. Now, in a message, instead of showing the receivers entire name, it shows only there first name and the first initial of there last name at the top. “Tyler R” vs. “Tyler Romaro”

40. Has anyone noticed that some of the buttons in apps (like Twitters tabs, or speedtest begin test button) seem to be misaligned or something, for example, pressing the middle/bottom of a tab in twitter doesn’t do anything, I have to press the top, or slightly above the button?

41. When Maps is launched ‘Help Improve Maps’ pop up shows requesting users to allow access to frequent locations..

42. You can download complete playlists in the Musik-App. Finally ;-)

43. cpatch says:

Better compatibility with 3rd-party apps…I had a couple where lists didn’t scroll properly that are now working.

44. the ‘car’ icon when looking for directions has been udpated.. the font size of 3D label has been increased, zooming out when looking at directions has been removed

45. iTunes Radio seems to have new option in radio information and its called “Play Explicit Tracks”.

46. Do apps still crash? Like Twitter or eBay, that is the only thing that keeps me from installing the beta. Please someone check it for me, I would appreciate it!

• This has nothing to do with Apple, it’s because app developers haven’t updated their apps themselves to work with iOS 7 because they’re not allowed to yet.
      You’re not supposed to install iOS 7 on your main phone; it even says you should only download it for software development. If you want a beta on your device but you aren’t a developer, it’s wise to keep quiet about it, because people aren’t going to be even slightly sympathetic if you screw up.
      You have to decide whether you want it badly enough to sacrifice a couple apps. If you don’t, you’ll just have to wait until it’s released.

• cpatch says:

Actually, it does have to do with Apple…each iOS 7 beta release so far has provided greater compatibility with third party apps and, with beta 4, both Twitter and eBay seem to be working (along with others that didn’t work with beta 3).

You’re right, of course, that if you install the beta you should be prepared for things to not work.

47. The maps postion symbol is changed!

48. hikingfan says:

Did you notice, that the “Artist”-Tab in Music.app pulls artist-images from somewhere on the web? These images are NOT used from the Album-Covers…

On other news: Why do I need to login to comment on here.. thats lame! :(

49. I wonder when Apple will include more SFX and ringtones in their OS :P

50. Dave Mariano says:

Is the calls bug fixed? Like not receiving calls & 2 holds with the same caller when you answer the call?

51. What’s complete uploads?

52. Icons updated in Restrictions

53. It would be really nice to see real-size fullscreen screenshots instead of cropped, zoomed in (blurry) portions of the screen. Would give a good impression for those of us that don’t (or can’t) run iOS 7.

54. iTunes Store app UI is white for Music but changes to dark grey for Movies and TV Shows.

55. I’m receiving all notifications on my Pebble smartwatch with this software update! don’t know if it’s a bug…but I love it! :D

56. the chevron next to “slide to unlock” is crazy obnoxious now. Why does it blink instead of just use the same sheen that slide to unlock does? did it even need anything? the arrow at the bottom was enough to confuse people without blinking like crazy.

57. Seems as if the issues with not receiving calls from Favorites has been resolved, finally!

58. rettun1 says:

I’m liking a lot of these updates.

Regarding the video, I’m not sure if its fair to compare the speeds of an iPhone 5 with a previous version.

59. chrisdpl7 says:

IN THE MUSIC APPS RADIO THERE IS AN SETTING TO DISABLE / ABLE EXPLICIT MUSIC

60. J.D. Lace says:

Frequent Locations in Settings now displays History on same screen without having to tap.

61. fr33z33 says:

This one’s a biggie: tapping the location icon twice in maps will rotate the map according to the direction you’re facing!

62. Zoheb Khan says:

new:
    HotSpot is even better now !
    its light blue before it was dark blue !

63. julesbot says:

No dictionary, and no dictionary to download. 😞

• dpacemaker says:

The dictionary is there, when I tried it on iPhone 5 dictionary came up. Went to manage dictionaries I could download the simplified Chinese dictionary among a few others.

64. chrisdpl7 says:

In the music app when looking from a side point ( Portrait Orientation Unlocked) the control center and notification centers arrow are inside a box.

65. Is there a way on the keypad view in the phone dialer to cancel a number. In iOS6 there was a <X] button to back up/delete an individual number. I don't see that on there keypad for iOS7. Has an alternative been created? Thanks

66. Animations still need to be faster. It’s sad that my friend’s iPhone 4 can wake up, unlock, and start launching an app before I can on an iphone 4s. I can tap the app I want to launch four times before the unlock animation eases in and finishes, finally recognizing the touch. I don’t want my phone to animate waking up, I want it to wake up instantly. If they want to fade out the screen while locking it thats fine, I’m not in a rush when I put my phone away.

67. idann says:

You can scan in cards to Passbook. I didn’t see this in beta 3… That I recall.

68. Was stuck with an automatic game match in game center, couldn’t get it way, functionality to remove was now added.

69. -Apps still crash. Like Skype.
    -Lyrics of songs are still messed up.
    -Triple click home button, now working fine.
    -Badge App Icon seems different.

BTW, How do I know if the device is fully charged? The battery icon always shows the lightning icon. :|

70. aluveaux says:

I’ve noticed the following when browsing in safari, when watching the snappier animations video.

When pulling up for control center. Just the arrow with the tab will appear, instead of the full width screen with the same motion. Didn’t replicate with keyboard open.

71. aluveaux says:

In messages app. The persons name above the thread you are in no longer overlaps when hopping in and out of your different text threads! Nice!

72. Anyone else noticed that when you use either the new or old Apple headphones, you can change the volume on the remote/mic but clicking to pause the song or double clicking to skip the song doesn’t work? Oddly enough when you hold it to activate Siri, it works just fine.

73. siddhuncle says:

Dictionary function disabled for this beta release. The option to tap define on a highlighted word still exists and I expect the dictionary to be added again in the next beta release.