Screen Shot 2014-02-25 at 1.03.45 PM

Following an extensive developer beta process, Apple has just released OS X Mavericks 10.9.2 to end users. The update brings a few new features and enhancements, including:

• FaceTime Audio in the FaceTime and Messages apps
  • Contact blocking for FaceTime and iMessage
  • Mail app improvements
  • Autofill fixes for Safari
  • Audio fixes
  • VPN fixes
  • VoiceOver fixes

The release notes do not make mention of the SSL security bug that was squashed on iOS late last week, but a fix is present in this new OS X update. The update is available on the Mac App Store in the Software Update tab.

54 Responses to “Apple releases OS X Mavericks 10.9.2 with SSL fix, FaceTime Audio, contact blocking, Mail fixes”

1. I updated & tried the SSL test page.
    It says Safari os OK now.

2. Mark, the update to OS X does fix the SSL issues.

3. Please God, let the email problems be fixed…

4. themis333 says:

Reblogged this on Taste of Apple and commented:
    About time! Better get downloading…

5. Edas Haha says:

WTF, my MBA 2013 doesnt go sleep mode after pressing Power button o.O

6. sardonick says:

Glad they worked on mail, but I’m addicted to Airmail now so I’m not sure if I’m going back. Still, updates are good.

7. finally, the mail issues will be solved (?)

8. SSL Security Flaw finally fixed!!!!

9. Weird Update, now past computer password log in is charged to Icloud password!

10. Looks like Apple Mail is fixed!

Under 10.9.0/1, my Exchange account (tied to Webmail) would update only sporadically or when I stopped and restarted Mail and same with my Gmail account, but to a lesser extent.

Now with 10.9.2, Mail is updating both accounts immediately and normally, behaving just like it did under Mountain Lion.

Phew, that was annoying and I hated using Outlook — it’s clunky and intrusive.

• Steven, could you tell me what version of Mail it says you now have?

See my note:

11. Alex Hass says:

2010 MBA stuck on install screen…

12. After update Mail just freezes right after opening. I’ve tried to deleting the Cache, but no luck.

13. Maybe it’s just for me, but since the update I can’t enableTRIM with Chameleon SSD Optimizer. I put the switch to ON, reboot the MacbookPro and the Switch is back to OFF with “Apple only” in the TRIM settings.

14. Fixes mail.app gmail update bug on mid-2011 MBA. Finally. Oh, and thanks for also closing that gigantic security hole….

15. I did the update. When I opened Mail it “hung” for a long time doing nothing. So, I finally did a Force Quit and reopened it. So, I’m not sure if I have the latest version of Mail — it shows as Version 7.2 (1874) Can anyone confirm if I do? It didn’t “index” or go through a set up process when I reopened and it seems like mail isn’t sending/receiving without me closing and opening it. If it didn’t, how can I get the latest version of Mail. Thanks!

16. rymc02 says:

Updated and lost my audio. Audio preferences shows no option to select internal speakers. Reset PRAM…still not go. Fantastic start

17. Anoop Menon says:

Did it. Good that Apple put an update.

18. Steve Hawley says:

Has anyone with this bug tried it yet? Graphics corruption relating to the embedded Intel graphics on 2010-vintage MacBook Pros See:

19. John Smith says:

New update and still no fix for the multiple language auto-correct bug, which does not underline all errors. If only 1 language is selected it does work perfectly. Geeze, why did you broke it in Mavericks and not fixing it… This bug is driving me nuts and make me want to go back to Mountain Lion as I use 3 languages everyday.

20. Updated, rebooted and OS corrupted. Reinstalled (granted was easy enough, around 40mins). Now seems to freeze up upon wake from sleep.

21. too bad my wi-fi crashes every 3 minutes with this 10.9.2! driving me crazy!

22. Didn’t fix any of my mail issues:

1. Sent messages are ‘flagged’ with red flag (blackberry, exchange, Mail combination)
    2. Does not send calendar responses from exchange
    3. Conversations often don’t appear together (messages appear above, below the conversation header)

With the amount of time it took to release this update these fixes should’ve been included. VERY ANNOYING!

23. nothinglogical says:

10.9.2 update makes safari stick when swiping back through history. They rushed this release.

24. “Following an extensive developer beta process,”?? The installation in my MacBook Air mid-2011 freezes in the installation screen… What should I do? Please…

25. THEY STILL HAVEN’T ADDRESSED THE WIFI ISSUE THAT SET IN AFTER THE ORIGINAL MAVERICKS UPGRADE! Excuse me for shouting but the web is littered with complaints from people who have lost the ability to adequately use their Macbooks on wifi after upgrading to Mavericks! I have resorted to installing a homeplug device so that I can access the internet on my Macbook Pro via ethernet cable. When I was using Mountain Lion I could do anything internet based on wifi. Mavericks upgrade immediately put a stop to that, for me and for many others. Apple don’t seem to acknowledge this at all! I’ve been waiting patiently for an update that will fix this and when I saw 10.9.2 I felt a quiver of anticipation and hope…only to be disappointed again! Nada! I fear I will never use my Macbook Pro on wifi again!

26. I can no longer drag smart links to iMessage. Dragging a web page favicon to the chat has always created a readable link based on the page title. Now it creates a bookmark file that needs to be downloaded by the receiver. Will it even work if the other person is using Windows? It still works to drag the favicon to Mail or a text document.

27. Jane Watson says:

I’m just going to add my comments – that yes I am annoyed that I cannot do the one click to put my Mac to sleep anymore, thanks for others mentioning- I thought it was a prob with my setup and had started removing new apps – gonna put them back now… I still see no fix for the disappearing mouse cursor prob and frankly feel atm that no one at Apple cares or is doing anything to fix this bogus beta system that should never have been released…I just spent AUS$3,500 on a new mac and really now I think I should have bought a PC.. this is not what I expect from Apple- I’ve been an Apple user for 30 years (yup) and I have never felt angrier with the way they treated the security hole…. how dare they even sleep until it is fixed… they are now the biggest computer company in the world – surely they can hire hamsters to run on the wheel after hours and get something like that fixed quicker??

28. My Bose Companion 2 Speakers stopped working after I updated. They work fine on the windows side, but they just don’t show up as an option to use an output under the “Sound” menu in System Preferences.

29. Kyle Albion says:

After installed 10.9.2 on my 2012 MBPR, it introduced sleep/awake bug to my laptop (about 80% of time, unable to resume from sleep, the blank screen, but the volume and back light are working). Does anyone have this problem?

30. How long should it take to download and install? Been waiting for 30 minutes. I’m kinda freaking out.

31. My Outlook 2011 receives email with no problem, but I can’ forward, reply, or send any new message after the OS X 10.9.2 upgrade. Any one else experience this?

32. My HP printer is canceling my “restart” command. Will not let me close the printer application. What do I do?

33. Robert Illes says:

I upgraded to the Mavericks a few days ago, then had to upgrade iPhoto… in so doing I lost some videos that I had uploaded from my iPhone 5s… OR there are movies that will not play either on the in-house player, or various other players like VLC. WTF?